Patient Comments: Allergies - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?

Comment from: Mark Ranger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Severe muscle-crush of legs induced low potassium until treatment after 3 years. I lost everything; businesses, home, family, friends. Later struggling in a hot country, Australia, to recoup some of my losses I lost potassium through high perspiration. I drank some 12 liters daily. I suffered severe symptoms; confusion, fatigue, arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, clots, nerve damage, muscle pain, trembling, collapsed libido, and delayed tissue repair. This has prevented me from achieving much but failure in the face of determined struggle over 27 years. Yes I have self-medicated for 7 weeks and am recovering.

Comment from: Parge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

So pleased to know there are other people around with the same problem. Having put in my symptoms, it came up with costochondritis, and I had never heard of it before. I was convinced it was to do with my stomach, having had problems before with gastritis. I had been moving furniture and painting walls, etc. And now I realize that I had put a strain on my ribs. I couldn't stand wearing a bra and also I wasn't feeling hungry when my stomach was inflamed. I was told just to take paracetamol as I cannot take ibuprofen. I also had pains around my midriff and back. So now I will lay off the decorating! Was glad I went to the doctors who confirmed the diagnosis!

Comment from: capodad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

It started about 5 years ago and only maybe once a year. My allergy symptoms are on one side only one eye will start rapid tears and I have continual tearing and nasal drip, and nonstop sneezing. It's very strange how it only affects one side of my face. Symptoms last about 2 days usually, and then disappear for maybe a year. It seems very intense at the time and I have no other health issues. The first time was when I went up to the mountains. I live at the beach. It started again yesterday afternoon while I was working in a nearby town and continued this morning only upon awakening and rising. At first I thought I developed hay fever, but I'm beginning to think it's related to change in barometric pressure. It's very sporadic in nature; its late October now.

Comment from: albertn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

The symptom pattern with every attack of itching allergy is: Severe cold and fever for 2 - 3 hours (shaking) followed by a day of sore body (typical flu symptoms) followed by severe itching all over the body under the skin (no rashes) for a day, followed by burning sensation in my hand, palms, and feet soles and redness with red spots under the skin at night time. Heat and warm clothes aggravate the symptoms and cold water alleviates the severity temporarily. The first attacks started in winter July 2013. Doctors eventually found gallstone blockage and removed my gallbladder. All went well and then same symptoms started again in June 2014. Nothing so far has helped for the itching or the hand/feet burning. It is very severe and don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: A Chronic Sufferer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I get skin allergy, i.e. itching, practically anywhere and most parts even all over body, any time, under any conditions, i.e. hot and dry; hot and moist; cold and dry; cold and wet; over bare or covered parts; while sleeping or awake; sweating or dry. Under similar circumstances I may be feeling good at one time and develop allergy another time. It can be very acute and disturbing, even painful. Cetirizine 10mg may be helpful some time. At another time even 60mg of same may not help. Even Allegra 120mg dose may be helpful once but no effect at another time. Have had various tests done in India, Germany, UK, etc., but without conclusions. Problem was there from the day I can remember as a child.

Comment from: cg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have swollen lower lip (center of lip) and cheek because of allergies.

Allergies - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with allergies.
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?