Patient Comments: Allergies - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?

Comment from: VaLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I went to visit family out of state and slept on the sofa because my cousin and wife needed to sleep in the bedroom when they arrived. I fell asleep in my traveling clothes on the sofa and during the night I felt like something crawled on me but I was too tired to do anything more than brush my arm. Next morning I got up to take a shower and just happened to look up at the ceiling and saw what I thought might be a bedbug. The next day I started to get itchy on my arms near my wrists. Initially thought it was mosquitoes. Then the person who I stayed with told me she had them in her room. I immediately got upset. I went in her room and they were all over the walls. Needless to say, I left. I was so paranoid of taking them home. When I arrived back to my house I got undressed in the garage and put all my clothing in the dryer; even the delicate ones. Bites were on both arms, my back, and my neck. And the itch was terrible. I'm still worried they may be in my car so, I'm going to get traps just in case.

Comment from: Bhgal71, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Epstein-Barr virus infection caused high elevated liver enzymes, enlarged liver, enlarged spleen, and enlarged gallbladder. Neutrophils were very low, white blood counts extremely low, I was dehydrated, had fluctuation of fever up and down, night sweats, was extremely fatigued, had fluid on outside of both lungs (probably from no activity or exercise), sleepless nights, sore throat, stuffy head, as well as mononucleosis and cytomegalovirus. I spent couple nights in the hospital, and couple nights in the emergency room for IVs from dehydration. Currently I have been sick two weeks and not released to even think about work for a month.

Comment from: bilirubin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My cystic self did not show its ugly face until I was diagnosed with a cystic tumor occupying almost all of my left kidney. At present 10/3/16, the remaining kidney is at least 20 percent home to 3 or 4 cystic tumors. Treatment for this kidney's condition is in debate at present. My history of facial skin conditions has never been an issue, until multi-cystic kidney disease has developed. Cysts, and not just acne have also reared their ugly heads on my face. It must be connected, probably along with nerves.

Comment from: cats&dogs, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

I took two Valium pills prescribed by my doctor 45 minutes before to lessen anxiety, but they did not do a thing. The testing doctor says ok, the lidocaine will take effect so you will only have to get through the first needle then it will be numb. Wrong, the lidocaine did not work either. I am apparently immune to most pain easing drugs and I really needed them because I am very anxious about medical procedures. The slight pressure as the spinal tap is done is very misleading if you are feeling all the nerve endings screaming. It was a deep ache that made me almost nauseous and every time they moved or relocated the needle it was agony. I told the doctor at one point it felt like he hit my left kidney and he seemed to think it was humorous and just said 'gee, I hope not!' It didn't seem to matter that I was extremely upset with the whole thing. I guess I'm just very unlucky in that neither Valium (my sister says it does not work on her either) or the lidocaine is effective on me. I have had IV Valium for dental procedures before that did work beautifully, so never dreamed the pill form wouldn't do just as well. It was the longest 1/2 hour of my life.

Allergies - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with allergies.
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?