Patient Comments: Allergies - Causes

What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?

Comment from: WorkingMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I wish I knew everything I am allergic to! I get contact dermatitis when I wear rings too long or use harsh soaps, lotions, etc. I also have rhinitis symptoms whenever I eat too much of a milk-based food. Sometimes I also experience rhinitis or sinus headaches at my workplace. I'm pretty sure this is caused by dust from a certain process which takes place near my workstation, as the symptoms are much worse on the days that process is going on. If I could prove cause and effect my employer might provide better ventilation, but no one else seems to be affected!

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I do not know what has caused my allergy I suspect it is an irritant or oil but other possibilities include laundry agents or gloves. I am going to get allergy tested in the near future as I am told it is best to know what I am allergic to.

Comment from: Charles Kieti, Male (Patient) Published: June 03

In most cases I sneeze a lot when it is cold or when I wake early in the morning, or even sometimes when I use a body lotion or soap, and when it enters my nose I sneeze a lot and have tears sometimes because of the allergy. Annually I may experience hard breathing system, cough, tears, back pain, chest pain, and sweat when I cough and difficult breathing resulting in this and much pain when I cough.

Comment from: rhodesia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have developed a horrid, itchy rash. It started as a tiny area on the hairline on the back of my neck and has gradually spread. My right chest was next affected then neck up to beard line. Now 3 to 4 weeks later it has got me over the whole of my chest and upper back, all around my neck, right shoulder traveling down to my elbow. You can only see it in the right lighting so it is not obvious, not red or weeping but it itches like crazy and I am starting to make myself sore and bleeding. I have previously had asthma but no longer. I once had an allergic reaction to worm/parasite treatment after using it twice a year for years. The doctor told me to stop as anaphylactic shock could occur! I have really bad itching from codeine where I rip into my skin but this is different. I am getting desperate. Medicine here in Bulgaria is very expensive so trial and error is not an option.

Comment from: Mary, Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My allergy symptoms are dermatitis, itchy skin, dry skin, swelling of face, and puffiness around eyes.

Comment from: connie, Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

They say I'm allergic to all grass, all trees, mold, and flowers; I don't believe it, I don't have any problems I know of.

Comment from: piano teacher & acco, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have a runny nose all day long. When I eat a meal, my nose runs. I feel like there is mucous in the top of the back of my throat and I can't swallow it.

Allergies - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with allergies.
Allergies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?