Patient Comments: Allergies - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with allergies.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I started having these terrible sneezing fits about 5 months ago. Tests revealed an allergy to dust mites, Aspergillus tamarii and Aspergillus fumigatus. Of late I have noticed I have a bad spell once a week and then I'm fine.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have only ever had hay fever in extreme heat. I succumbed to an allergy at work which caused my face to swell up. My skin also itched where my clothes were tight fitting, or if I sweated. The allergy was treated but I still suffer from dermatitis. I did not realize how major an allergy could be. I knew of people who have nut allergies or are allergic to bee stings but I had never experienced anything like that before.

Comment from: Sylvia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a dental repair done. I put the denture in my mouth at 4 pm and before midnight I was in the emergency room. I have suffered with swollen sore tongue, burned swollen lips, sore ripples in palate of mouth, swollen throat, diarrhea 4 to 5 times daily, metallic and soapy taste in mouth, fast heartrate and breaking out on arms. I have removed the denture on 1/29/15 and am still in intense pain. I have had blood work to rule out deficiencies and have taken medicine for thrush (had no effect). I am set for allergy testing for denture materials. I am afraid. My immediate reaction was so severe and the effects have remained. My mouth is on fire and raw. I am afraid the allergy tests will cause an even worse reaction.

Comment from: pain in cold season, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My daughter of age 26, has been suffering from allergic symptoms since she was 1 month old. When she was born in the hospital, her face looked like a beautiful red apple. But, 1 month later, she had eczema on her face and head for two months, then recovered. When she was 13, early in June, she started to cough and sneeze, all of us thought she caught cold instead of allergy. It nearly took her the whole summer to recover from it. When the autumn came, in October, she started to sneeze again with running nose, she felt awful, and it was the beginning of her allergic symptoms. From then on, between the changes of two seasons, especially during chilly and cold weather in winter, she has to suffer a lot. The first year that she was in university, she had very tiny red spots on her feet, they were seriously itching, I took her to hospital for a check-up, and the result was allergic symptoms. After using some medicine, two months later, she recovered from it. In autumn of 2013, her skin showed round itchy lesion on her both legs. In 2014, she had less of them on the legs. This February, she went to hospital, the medicine in the infusion is supposed to avoid causing serious allergic symptoms, in case she risked danger, the price of it was very expensive. Now she feels much better. Anyway, most of time she is fine, plus her allergic symptoms are not contagious, and I tell her she needs to take good care of herself. Still, it seems like lifelong suffering.

Comment from: donski, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My allergies used to start in April and this year they started in February. I have a stuffy nose but my main problem is itchy eyes. Constant red eyes and the more I itch the more irritated and evidently they swell shut at night. I have to pry them apart with my hands every morning. I have used all types of eye drops and the relief is short lived. I have changed my furnace filter and have tried to keep my house clean. I am allergic to many foods and have many allergies, pollen, weeds, etc.

Comment from: Waterworks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I keep having redness around my eyes and on my cheeks near my nose. I can't think what has caused the allergy.

Allergies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?