Patient Comments: Allergies - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with allergies.

Comment from: patiogirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had been getting allergy shots for 2 years; I started to get nose bleeds really bad, after 8 months of using cremes and treatments nothing helped. A nose specialist found the allergies caused holes in both my septums in my nose; I had to be operated on to close the holes and cauterized the blood vessels. It had been 4 months and all I use now to help the allergies from affecting my nose is a salt water spray in my nose. Allergies cause so many problems and the doctors do not seem to look for allergy causes. I had to switch allergy doctors to find out.

Comment from: MrDubious, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been diagnosed with food allergies to dairy proteins as well as almonds, red grapes, asparagus and chicken. When I eat these foods within a few hours to as little as 20 minutes I start to clear my throat. This condition continues for about 15-20 minutes. What can I do to enjoy so many foods that I can't eat?

Comment from: Swollen eye, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I woke up with a mild pain on the upper lid of my left eye, I ignored it because I thought it was not something serious, but as the pain continued to increase by the day, my eye started swelling. After two weeks, I woke up and I almost could not open my eye that was when I knew that it needed attention.

Comment from: Red, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am 23 years old and I've never suffered with any of these ailments until now. My sense of smell lately is going from good to bad, and I believe it's affecting my sense of taste. I have constant headaches. The doctor said it's allergies. He gave me Claritin, and I got a little relief.

Published: July 30

My eyes are often teary, sometimes itchy (especially at night). Sometimes it's my eyeballs that seem to be itchy, other times it's my eyelids. One eye is often worse than the other. I've had eczema on my arms, legs, chest, neck, face, and hands, periodically, since childhood. It goes away for years, sometimes. But for the past two years, my eyes have been bothering me, and for the past year, I've had eczema on my arms, hands, and sometimes my face, pretty consistently. I've been using topical creams like 2% hydrocortisone on my skin, and Alrex for my eyes. I also take Claritin, and am grateful that at least my allergies haven't been bothering me as much this season.

Published: July 28

I am 52 yrs old and have had to take antibiotics all my life for various illnesses, but in the last few years I have started having allergic reactions to all antibiotics. Severe reactions like rash, redness, and all over and respiratory distress. Why would I start having these reactions now that the meds are the same that I took before? I have to take 75 mg of Benadryl 30 minutes before each dose.

Published: July 23

I have a baby bunny. I was fine until all of a sudden as the bunny got older, I found that I was having trouble breathing and my eyes would water. I ended up having to give the bunny away (to a relative so I could see him once in a while). I never realized that I was allergic to bunnies, but apparently I am. When I am around him for more than a few minutes, my throat would close up and I could hardly breathe. I find that taking an over-the-counter allergy pill before contact helps for a while. I am 61 years old and never knew I was allergic to anything, although I do have asthma.

Published: July 08

I believe I became allergic to Miralax after using it for two days. I developed a swollen upper lip and large hives on different areas of my body. I couldn't call my physician as it was the July 4 holiday. I took Benadryl and still have some symptoms, but it is much better.

Allergies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?