Patient Comments: Allergies - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with allergies.

Comment from: Headhives, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Female � 76. I broke out in hives starting with a red neck at the hairline. I then got itchy bumps which felt hot and hurt too. They moved up the back of my head to my forehead in 2 days. Nothing in my life changed prior to this except a great deal of stress and put me on edge. But I had started taking Viactiv glides for calcium 2 weeks prior. They have a poor website/telephone service so I failed to get any worthwhile info from them. Then I went to the doctor fearing that they might get into my eyes and ears. My doctor put me on steroids for 7 days and suggested Benadryl. I was disappointed because they floundered and said it "might be cellulitis", not shingles. But, I also told them that I had a tiny bulls eye a week before so they gave me a Lyme disease test too. I get the results next week. My husband had Lyme disease twice and was treated successfully. The hives were short lived with redness and no residual pain or itch either. Blood pressure was normal and still is. Puzzling and disturbing not knowing the cause.

Comment from: Riatsalawhit, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

At Christmas while in Bangkok Thailand I was eating in a restaurant when out of the blue I had an allergic shock after eating fish my throat tightened up my limbs felt limp and by the time I reached Hospital my body was completely blue from head to toe. In fact I was all but dead. I believe the staff had to pump life back into me and I woke the following morning with tubes in my nose and I was unable to talk. I wouldn't like to go through that experience ever again. Since having an allergy test I've now found that the cause is either fish (cod) or walnuts.

Published: July 28

I have developed an allergy to alcohol and find it very confusing and frustrating to get an answer on whether or not I can continue to have a glass or two once in a while or if I shouldn't. My doctor advised that if I continue to drink alcohol, ever, it will make the symptoms become more severe and could lead to anaphylaxis, as I currently get shortness of breath and hives after drinking.

Comment from: anxious, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have rash on neck and cheeks. It's itching a bit all over.

Comment from: Ciriza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have itchy eyes, nose, and back of neck, and sores on my back from scratching.

Comment from: Carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I woke up this morning with swollen eyes, one nearly swollen shut, the other not too bad; but lips and cheeks are swollen as well.

Comment from: JR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have runny nose, runny eyes, swollen eyes, sneezing, and itchy roof of mouth and lips.

Comment from: Montreal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My eyelids are puffy due to allergy, and under the eyes puffy. My face is red, I have itchy eyes and face and my face is warm.

Comment from: Sharon S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have dark circles under my eyes because of allergy.

Allergies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?