Patient Comments: Allergies - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with allergies.

Comment from: Ambereyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Prior to my being taken into hospital, on 22 December 2010, I had never ever experienced any cold-like, flu or allergy symptoms. But now, I, continue to do so up to the present day, unexpected very loud spasms from deep-rooted sneezing episodes, which leave me feeling cold within and feeling very worried, and isolated. I have reason to believe I may have an allergy problem.

Comment from: bebs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My allergies cause me to all of a sudden have swollen lips, alternately bottom or top lip, never both at the same time. Also my eye would be swollen shut, again one at a time. I've always had sensitive skin when I was in my childhood. But after my high school days I have never had any allergies anymore including my asthma, which has gone. The swelling does not happen every day but usually when my body or face comes into contact with my husband's body specially his chest that has hair. When my daughters and I had a 2 months vacation in the Philippines I never had a problem with it. Once I was home and my face was on his chest again all of a sudden I felt my upper lip blowing up to about 4 times its size! It feels like when the dentist numbs you.

Comment from: scard, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

When I was young I was allergic to cake frosting. I'm 25 now and eating cake like it is going out of style. I was never allergic to seafood or any other food or medication before. Now I'm allergic to it and I'm scared of eating. After I eat a certain food type my body itches and I have a rash all over my body. The doctor says the rash that I get is hives or the eczema. I'm always on an allergy pill.

Comment from: thinkwayne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

My allergies cause me to have swollen lips. It seems to be happening more frequently of late. Before the current reaction, the last time was immediately after eating same spicy food. I assumed it was from one of the ingredients. Last night's reaction was after being at the park but before eating dinner. It resulted in severe swelling of the lower lip. The last similar reaction was swelling in my upper lip which happened 3 to 4 months ago.

Comment from: Genie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I remember when I was about 18 years old, during my first job, I had skin allergies when I started operating on a xerox machine. From then on, allergies attack when I eat some seafood's and when I wear accessories made of metal like earings, bracelet, etc. Then out of blues, allergy attacks stopped for so many years. Then late last year, my fingers on my right hand began to itch so much. I love scratching them until I realized it began to swell and wounded. It alarms me since my hand now looks ugly. I went to a dermatologist who told me that I had a fungal infection due to detergents and dish washing soap I was using. She prescribed fluocinonide cream which I am using right now. It helps but there were times it really itches especially at night when I'm asleep. I can't help it but to scratch it.

Comment from: careg1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've always liked nuts, (walnuts, peanuts, pecans etc.) About 9 years ago I had some cashews which triggered a gallbladder attack. Once that was taken care of, I avoided cashews. Recently while at a friends house she offered a candy from her home in India. I asked what they were made from as they were very aromatic. She didn't know, but once I had a small bite, my inner ears began to itch and burn. That was followed quickly by the back of my tongue itching and burning. The entire episode lasted about 10 minutes. Just this morning I was having an apple cranberry muffin (purchased at a local grocery store) and the same symptoms started again. I read the ingredients, and sure enough-cashews are in the mix. Wish bakers would put a readable ingredient listing on anything that contains nuts!

Comment from: Headhives, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Female – 76. I broke out in hives starting with a red neck at the hairline. I then got itchy bumps which felt hot and hurt too. They moved up the back of my head to my forehead in 2 days. Nothing in my life changed prior to this except a great deal of stress and put me on edge. But I had started taking Viactiv glides for calcium 2 weeks prior. They have a poor website/telephone service so I failed to get any worthwhile info from them. Then I went to the doctor fearing that they might get into my eyes and ears. My doctor put me on steroids for 7 days and suggested Benadryl. I was disappointed because they floundered and said it "might be cellulitis", not shingles. But, I also told them that I had a tiny bulls eye a week before so they gave me a Lyme disease test too. I get the results next week. My husband had Lyme disease twice and was treated successfully. The hives were short lived with redness and no residual pain or itch either. Blood pressure was normal and still is. Puzzling and disturbing not knowing the cause.

Allergies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?
Allergies - Causes Question: What causes your allergy symptoms? What are you allergic to?
Allergies - Asthma Question: Do you have asthma along with your allergies?
Allergies - Food Question: Have you ever experienced anaphylaxis due to a food allergy?