What is an allergy? (Continued)
- Approximately 10%-30% of individuals in the industrialized world are affected by allergic conditions, and this number is increasing.
- Allergic rhinitis (nasal allergies) affects roughly 20% of Americans. Between prescription costs, physician visits, and missed days of work/school, the economic burden of allergic disease exceeds $3 billion annually.
- Asthma affects roughly 8%-10% of Americans. The estimated health costs for asthma exceed approximately $20 billion annually.
- Food allergies affect roughly 3%-6% of children in the United States, and roughly 1%-2% of adults in the U.S.
- The prevalence of allergic conditions has increased significantly over the last two decades and continues to rise.
Reviewed on 1/23/2015