Allergy (Allergies)

Allergic shock (anaphylaxis)

Comment on this

Allergic shock (anaphylaxis) is a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can affect a number of organs at the same time. Allergens that typically lead to anaphylaxis are foods, medications, and venom (bee stings). Aeroallergens rarely lead to anaphylaxis. Some or all of the following symptoms may occur:

Anaphylactic shock occurs when blood vessels enlarge excessively due to an allergic reaction, which causes a significant drop in blood pressure. This can result in inadequate blood flow to the organs in the body and is an emergent, life-threatening condition.

Reviewed on 1/23/2015


Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!