Patient Comments: Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Experience

Please describe your experience with alcoholism.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My best friend of 16 years over the last year has shown how she has been an alcoholic for a long time and she is in self-destruct mode. She's had help and now she is refusing help and she's only been out of a home 5 days and already she has been found drunk and has fell over in the street and couldn't remember where she lived a taxi driver had to use her phone to contact one of us to tell us I feel so sad I can't help my friend who must be in so much pain. I cry a lot when I think of her life's a real.

Comment from: ginanotes, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Thank God I can say I'm a year sober! I almost died. They (doctors) said if my friends hadn't got me to the hospital when they did...I'd have died within the hour. I went to 3 stay in treatments, that didn't stop me. It took that 1 month in the hospital. I'm not looking back now. Don't even "test" if you can TRY drinking a bit less, you8 really don't have to have it to exist. I couldn't function w/o it. I saw no end...except waiting to die. I can only keep on what I do and don't stray from my "new" norm. & that's w/o alcohol. I have 3 great kids to live for, but I also have trouble writing, walking, cerosis, and neuropathy. All caused from drinking. What a crappy way to learn the hard way!

Comment from: aaron17, 35-44 Male Published: August 02

I am a man of 42 years of age, for some time now have been experiencing some lower back pains which I reported to my doctor and he requested to have renal and liver function test. The renal test was normal but liver function test revealed a low platelet count. The doctor subsequently asked to have another liver function in a month's time and abstinence from alcohol. The doctor has eventually asked to have HIV and hepatitis B and C tests.

Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your alcoholism?
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of alcohol abuse or alcoholism in a friend or relative?