Patient Comments: Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Experience

Please describe your experience with alcoholism.

Comment from: norma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am too stubborn to admit that I needed to attend AA for my alcoholism. I have tried for over 20 years, and it was always a no go. I know I need treatment but I have a private insurance that will only treat detox. No more. So I thought I had to fight this on my own, and will attempt to enter a sober environment on Monday. I feel for those of us that are suffering and I wish us well. I am very close to God in my own way, but not the way AA is structured. So I sought other alternatives and found 'SMART' for recovery. No one judges you, and we take the neurological findings into account for our addiction. This is probably a better fit for me, since I have tried AA and it didn't work for me. I am glad that it has for so many others. Let's see if this program works for me. I have also heard and researched 'Prometa' treatments for alcoholism. A three-day in-hospital treatment with a cocktail of medications to break the cycle. I saw it on 20/20 and some people swear by it, but it has not been approved by the FDA yet. Figures, they have too much money to risk on healing alcoholic people, which is probably 3/4 of the authoritarian government. But I sure do hope it will be approved one day, and save many lives, such as the patch has done for smokers.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My sister is an alcoholic. She drinks beer continuously. I don't think she has bathed in several years. Wears filthy clothing and smells so very bad. She eats one meal a day and the rest is alcohol. She has no friends and her own family doesn't want to be around her. She won't do anything to help herself, but she does expect others to do for her. She's a mess. She has drunk beer for as long as I can remember. I wish thing were different.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My best friend of 16 years over the last year has shown how she has been an alcoholic for a long time and she is in self-destruct mode. She's had help and now she is refusing help and she's only been out of a home 5 days and already she has been found drunk and has fell over in the street and couldn't remember where she lived a taxi driver had to use her phone to contact one of us to tell us I feel so sad I can't help my friend who must be in so much pain. I cry a lot when I think of her life's a real.

Comment from: ginanotes, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Thank God I can say I'm a year sober! I almost died. They (doctors) said if my friends hadn't got me to the hospital when they did...I'd have died within the hour. I went to 3 stay in treatments, that didn't stop me. It took that 1 month in the hospital. I'm not looking back now. Don't even "test" if you can TRY drinking a bit less, you8 really don't have to have it to exist. I couldn't function w/o it. I saw no end...except waiting to die. I can only keep on what I do and don't stray from my "new" norm. & that's w/o alcohol. I have 3 great kids to live for, but I also have trouble writing, walking, cerosis, and neuropathy. All caused from drinking. What a crappy way to learn the hard way!

Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your alcoholism?
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of alcohol abuse or alcoholism in a friend or relative?