Patient Comments: Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your alcoholism?

Comment from: zeke, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Alcoholism is a deadly disease. My mother is an alcoholic as is my brother. My ex wife is an alcoholic. They are all sober but their drinking has taken a serious toll on my life. Unless and until the alcoholic takes the first step the person affected by the alcoholic's behavior is wasting their time. Everything you have ever heard about how destructive alcoholism is true, I have experienced it. Demand that the alcoholic get into an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) program or make plans to get out of the situation... or live a life that will be full of regret.

Comment from: Preeti, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

I used Chronol to stop my husband's drinking habit but due to nonavailability I changed to other but found bad results as he has now again start drinking.

Comment from: happy camper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been sober for 10 years with the AA program. I work with others and see that a desire to quit and be healthy and 'spiritually fit' rather than removing the life consequences is paramount to long term sobriety. AA's 12 step program is holistic in that it addresses equally body, and spirit. I am so grateful that after a lifetime of control attempts and ending with 8 years of advanced alcoholism, I am a different person inside and out.

Comment from: stylistangi, 35-44 Female Published: May 20

I believe I am an alcoholic. My daughter has been affected by my problem. But I am a bit scared to sit through Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), knowing that I may not share in their beliefs. I am not familiar with their programs and would like to learn more.

Published: October 13

The only one thing that helped me was hitting that rock bottom! I could not do it alone. In a desperate, out of money, had lost children to CYFD, no dignity, no-self-respect, moment I called my brother. (He had given up on me, and was not willing to help me anymore. He basically told me "Hey I love you with all of my heart, but this is your choice of continuing to destruct or kill yourself!" Then he told me, "Now if you are serious about helping yourself, here are the next steps to follow" At this point I knew I had to for once in my life listen to him. None of them were willing to help me. I had not only abused their trust and love, but also their hope in believing the youngest of the family would someday change for her own good. In other words I no longer had a cushion to fall back on. My family and friends had enough hurt and pain from me. They were not having it anymore, and they had to shut that door on me. I needed to understand that I no longer had a right to continue to bring hurt and pain to them. I allowed guidance; first from my brother, then from the 12 steps of Alcoholic Anonymous. I have been sober and working the program vigorously on a 24 hour basis for the past 2 years, 3 months 4 days and 14 hours. And this is how I get treatment...

Comment from: Caroline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

What has been most effective for my alcoholism has been to accept that I am an alcoholic. I have to avoid the first drink because, as soon as alcohol enters my system, an endless craving starts. I also attend A.A. meetings.

Comment from: Hurley, 55-64 Female Published: June 30

I just quit. I don't go around anyone that drinks. I tried for 20 years to quit. I went to AA, and treatment. Nothing helped me. I was not finished until one day I said I'm not happy, and I don't enjoy drinking, and my life is a mess. I started going to Church. I found new friends. I also got a divorce after 35 years. I'm happier now than I've ever been.

Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with alcoholism.
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of alcohol abuse or alcoholism in a friend or relative?