GENERIC NAME: albuterol sulphate inhalation solution
BRAND NAME: Ventolin, Proventil, Accuneb (discontinued)
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Albuterol sulphate inhalation solution is used for the treatment of bronchospasm in patients 2 to 12 years of age with asthma (reversible obstructive airway disease).
Common side effects include:
- Migraine headaches
- Non-migraine headaches
- stomach upset
- flu-like symptoms
- cold symptoms
- ear infections (otitis media)
Other side effects include:
- allergic reactions (rash, hives, itching)
- increased sputum
- shortness of breath
Possible serious side effects include:
- bronchospasm (worsening of asthma)
- serious allergic reactions (anaphylaxis)
- worsening of diabetes
- low potassium
- abnormal heart rhythm (palpitations)
- fast heart rate
- elevated blood pressure
- chest pain
Quick GuideAsthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.