GENERIC NAME: albendazole
BRAND NAME: Albenza
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No (beware of fraudulent suppliers)
USES: Albendazole is FDA approved for the treatment of the following parasitic infections:
- Hydatid Disease: Albendazole is used for the treatment of cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum, caused by dog tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosus) larvae.
- Neurocysticercosis: Albendazole is used to treat parenchymal neurocysticercosis due to active lesion caused by pork tapeworm (Taenia solium) larvae.
- Off-label use: Albendazole is also effective in treating infections caused by other parasites including Taenia saginata (beef tapeworm), Trichinella spiralis (pork worm), Trichuris trichiura (whipworm), Enterobius vermicularis (pinworm), Strongyloides stercoralis (threadworm), Ascaris lumbricoides (roundworm), Ancylostoma duodenale (hookworm), and Necator americanus (hookworm).
SIDE EFFECTS: Side effects which occurred with a frequency of = 1% include:
- liver problems,
- stomach pain,
- increased intracranial pressure,
- meningeal signs,
- reversible hair loss or thinning, and
Side effects which occurred with a frequency of <1% include:
Other side effects of undefined frequency include:
- aplastic anemia,
- bone marrow suppression,
- decrease in white blood count,
- acute liver failure,
- hepatitis, increase in liver enzymes,
- severe skin rashes such as Steven-Johnson's syndrome, and
- acute kidney failure.
Quick GuideSymptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.