Patient Comments: Agoraphobia - Experiences

Please share your experiences of agoraphobia.

Comment from: hartley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

It is 10 years since I have been suffering from phobic disorder. Basically I can't leave my home at will, I had to give up church, outdoor recreational activity, etc., because of it. The period when I find someone's eye riveted on me, this fear uncannily enshrouds me and inevitably I start to behave abnormal, instead of that I recluse myself from the world.

Comment from: insideout, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

When I was 5 my mother was diagnosed with agoraphobia. For 10 years she couldn't even leave the house. I listened to my dad yell at her in a drunken rage almost every night because she couldn't go anywhere. When she finally got treatment and started taking meds, she was able to go out. Now, after 12 years of being on meds, she is still dependent on them and I feel they are making her crazy. I've also been having symptoms of agoraphobia for about four years, but have avoided medication because I don't want to end up like her. I feel I am letting my kids down, so I saw a doctor, started meds, and will be starting therapy soon. I'm scared about failing or disappointing my husband and children.

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Many years ago, I was diagnosed as agoraphobic. I so hated this label that I refused to admit it is definitely real. Actually, I've had many of these symptoms (not knowing why or what they were) most of my life. My growing-up years were very turbulent and touchy. I just had a bad bout that landed me in hospital last week. I don't remember much – just bits and pieces. I needed to be alone. I now know and accept the diagnosis and hope I'll be able to function better and work with myself and caregivers to better my daily life. I have a hard time with my daughter and know this is a major contributor to how I feel. I always say I am going to just let her be, and if she needs me she knows where I am. This is difficult because I so love my children and grandchildren.

Agoraphobia - Treatments Question: How do you treat or manage your agoraphobia? Do you take medication?
Agoraphobia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with agoraphobia?