Patient Comments: Agoraphobia - Experience

Please share your agoraphobia experiences.

Comment from: AnnH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a recovering agoraphobic. This disease has been a blessing and a curse. My first panic attack was at the age of 18. I was extremely lucky, I was able to find a doctor and therapist who specialized in agoraphobia. It took me 6 months of extreme therapy, exercise, relaxation exercise, and medication to get me out of the house. Within a year I was back in school but still very much in therapy. I started giving interviews to magazines and news stations, it was the 80s and mental disorder wasn't talked about much. I felt if this was going to be a part of me I'm going to share it. I'm in my late 40s now. I've had one minor setback in my 30s, and a major-ish set back in my 40s. It always shakes me up but I still meet my same doctor and I have the best therapist when I need her. This is who I am, yeah it sucks at times. But I appreciate the good times and life. The most important lesson I've learned is I don't care what people think of me.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My agoraphobia began in 1971. I went to 6 different psychiatrists, none of whom knew what was wrong with me. Finally my medical doctor prescribed anti-depressants, which I have been on for years. It took a month or two for the anxiety/panic attacks to lessen, but now I can function, thank goodness. I am dependent on my husband and do not go anywhere without him, but at least I am able to be out of the house. Without the drugs, I would still be housebound.

Comment from: mary ross, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

When I was in my late 20s, I developed panic disorder. This became agoraphobia. I could not ride the bus, go to work. I did not leave my house for a year. I finally contacted my third psychiatrist who hospitalized me for 3 days, prescribing a low dose of clonazepam. I was very fragile but eventually became stable. Caution: I had a primary physician who tried to take me off this – this is a very bad thing to do. After all these years, I have gone from .05 mg to 1 mg, and sometimes split the 1 mg. As far as I am concerned, clonazepam saved my life.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had a doozy of a panic attack today. I was in a building that had a glass elevator. I also have a fear of heights along with panic and agoraphobia. I had to leave the building.

Comment from: carol, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My grandson has panic attacks and cannot leave the house any further than 1/2 mile. He no longer works or drives and is presently not being treated for agoraphobia. He lives in Ohio and needs help really bad. I am in Florida and he has been living in a friend's home and says he is too far away from a doctor to make an appointment and he says he feels like killing himself every day. I think he needs to be taken to the emergency room and begin treatment. He says he is too proud to ask for help.

Comment from: hartley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

It is 10 years since I have been suffering from phobic disorder. Basically I can't leave my home at will, I had to give up church, outdoor recreational activity, etc., because of it. The period when I find someone's eye riveted on me, this fear uncannily enshrouds me and inevitably I start to behave abnormal, instead of that I recluse myself from the world.

Comment from: insideout, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

When I was 5 my mother was diagnosed with agoraphobia. For 10 years she couldn't even leave the house. I listened to my dad yell at her in a drunken rage almost every night because she couldn't go anywhere. When she finally got treatment and started taking meds, she was able to go out. Now, after 12 years of being on meds, she is still dependent on them and I feel they are making her crazy. I've also been having symptoms of agoraphobia for about four years, but have avoided medication because I don't want to end up like her. I feel I am letting my kids down, so I saw a doctor, started meds, and will be starting therapy soon. I'm scared about failing or disappointing my husband and children.

Agoraphobia - Treatments Question: How do you treat or manage your agoraphobia? Do you take medication?
Agoraphobia - Symptoms Question: What were your agoraphobia symptoms?