Patient Comments: Adult ADHD - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of adult ADHD and how was it diagnosed?

Comment from: amsel10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. Once I turned age 11 they had to take me of Ritalin. They said it would have a reverse reaction from what it was meant to do. I went on with my life as an adult without medication. I noticed at the age of 40 that I was having problems. These problems consisted on not being able to sleep, irritability, concentration problems. I seek medical advice. Now I am having problems finding a drug that will, help me sleep and get rid of my depression, anxiety, etc. I am so hyper. I feel like the energizer bunny. I have no desire to do the things I need to do, like clean my house, car, and such. I just wish I could sleep like a normal person. That would make my moods better with the right amount of good sleep.

Published: August 17

I am a nurse and it became a joke among me and the other nurses that I had ADHD. I had a difficult time sitting still, concentrating on charting and writing care plans. I rarely could sit at a desk long enough to complete a task, which made me wildly popular with the aides, I was always helping them. When I changed jobs and was required to sit for long periods of time to write reports I became keenly aware of my inability to concentrate on the task at hand. I took some online quizzes which suggested I speak to a Physician; I did and was officially diagnosed.

Comment from: RockBandRainMom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

I disagree that focusing in school/possible learning disabilities/etc., can be the only reasons for ADHD. My IQ is through the roof, but I can concentrate on nothing. I read like I talk, which is fast. I never did homework; I just whizzed through everything. I was reading on a 9th grade level in third grade, but my parents refused to let me skip grades because of my "immaturity." Well, I never outgrew the immaturity, only to now have social anxiety and panic attacks. I am a failed perfectionist! Now, I have children and I can see the genetics being passed down from my mother's OCD side and my father's Asperger's side -- and I can only take pride in that. At least, I've already been through what they will go through! I'm one step ahead of the ADHD game. It's amazing that, had I been medicated on Ritalin, perhaps my younger sister's hair wouldn't have been set on fire by my first flaming marshmallow. (I still think she deserved it though!) Vyvanse has worked a miracle in my 6-year-old son with mild autism and severe ADHD! Disorders overlap!

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am 50-year-old female and just this week learned that I have ADD and probably have been since childhood. Funny enough, I own two businesses (successful) and somehow managed to channel my energy into them. Yes, I struggle with focus, listening, reading, etc., but I still have done what only about 3% of the population of women has done (start and maintain successful businesses). I have been put on Adderall and Pristique for depression. I surely hope I am doing the right thing because for years, I have just managed it.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I suspected that my son had ADHD throughout childhood, but when he was tested on two separate occasions at my request by psychologists, they determined he didn't have it. I always thought they were mistaken. I observed him in all sorts of situations and always thought he exhibited all the symptoms. He is 38 now and struggles daily with every one of the symptoms mentioned. He is on Prozac for depression and is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. He is in a methadone program for his addiction to oxycontin and is doing well. However, he still has problems organizing his time, focusing, remembering to do things, switching from one activity to another, memory, following directions, social anxiety, self-esteem, employment, underachievement, etc.

Published: February 17

I have had problems all my life, and I was 58 when it was discovered I had ADD. A neurological test found I had problems with the usual distractions, focus, forgetfulness, daydreaming, etc. The test showed I had poor organization, working memory, and slow processing time. Although I have a couple of college degrees, I still feel as if I'm in a fog, sometimes in everyday life. And I've pretty much had to give up any expectations for keeping friends, even relatives, and jobs.

Comment from: concerned4others, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Well, it was very hard for me to admit that I had a problem because my brother and mother were both diagnosed with ADD, and I didn't want to be like them. I had to work very hard in school, and I still had my failures. But I made it. Later in life, as I had children and a career, I noticed that I was unable to perform tasks, and I couldn't focus. Sometimes the multi-tasking lifestyle brings it out. I went for about two years looking for help, thinking I was depressed or something. I came to find out though, after reviewing deep family history patterns, I have ADD, and that's why I wasn't functioning as I should. I had an MRI confirm as much as could be confirmed. And now, my twin children also were diagnosed. So, we deal and cope together on a daily basis. With medication though, we are able to live practically normal lives. I hope this helps someone out there to challenge the depression diagnosis and see if there could be something underlying, especially if there is a family history.

Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your adult ADHD?
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your adult ADHD?
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how you came to be diagnosed with adult ADHD.