Patient Comments: ADHD in Children - Diagnosis

How did physicians diagnose ADHD in your child?

Comment from: Elveretta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been on Adderall XR for a little over a year. It was a GOD send for me. I was able to remember, learn new things, ect. I recently had a mental break down and was sent to a new Psychiatrist, he took me off Adderall and put me on Vyvanse 40mg., after about 7 days I thought I could tell that it might be working, but not much, after the 7 days I started to be unable to sleep. I tried Rozerem . My Dr. had given to me a few week's earlier, but I didn't want to take it. The first few nights it worked then I was unable to sleep again, I feel like the new medication Vyvanse is keeking me awake. When my doctor had started me on the Adderall a year, ago it didn't keep me awake. The Adderall seems to help me more, I can't tell much from the Vyvanse except it won't let me sleep.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Through most of my life I had always felt being different from other children my age. I seem to be the one who is in trouble consistently. I was often the focal point of my father's wrath which I discovered was a form of emotional and mental abuse. I also had an uncanny ability to spot details other people often miss. It wasn't until 1993 when I met a person who changed my life. My friend recognized some of the symptoms of ADHD and urged me to get tested for it. In 1995 I was formally diagnosed with ADHD. After that key year questions which had bothered me through most of my life began to make sense.

ADHD in Children - Symptoms and Signs Question: What ADHD symptoms and signs does your child have?
ADHD in Children - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your child's ADHD?