Patient Comments: Tonsillitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your tonsillitis?

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Twenty five years ago my husband had a ruptured aneurysm ensuing which shunt was placed. Over the past couple years I noticed first his gait getting bad. Then his cognition. I feared he was headed to early dementia and finally got an appointment with a neurosurgeon who told me his shunt had failed! Some more of his symptoms of his hydrocephalus included recent incontinence and very, very slow thinking. I'm wondering if loss of libido is tied in to all this. The recent shunt revision has evidently failed also and he is, tomorrow the 29th, headed for a second surgery to find out what's going on.

Comment from: Chisholm, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I got a tick off me on a Friday. By, Monday l was swollen in my face and hand and was sick like I had the flu! I tried to work two days, and by the end of my Tuesday shift, my legs and feet were swollen so bad l could barely walk and l felt foggy. I also had huge red rashes under the skin, above each ankle. I went to the emergency room (ER), doctor said he didn't think it was Rocky Mountain spotted fever, but was going to treat me for tick bite. I had IV of strong antibiotics, doxycycline, something other and 20 pills of the same for 10 days. They said in 15 days they'll know my blood test results, and no call is a good thing! I have been so sick, severe joint aches, and weak, tired and just somedays barely go! Twenty three days later came a call from the hospital and they said l was positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Thanks to the medicines, it made it my first and last trip to the ER! The nurse said my veins were extremely small, and asked if l used to abuse steroids! Unimpressed with doctor's concern. If l go to the doctor l am sick, and l was actually afraid to drive, but more afraid of not going!

Comment from: desdopolisi, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I had felt pain in my left leg after surgery as an outpatient in the hospital. I called an ambulance to take me in to the next hospital for an exam on the pain in my leg. The hospital took an ultrasound and found a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg. The nurse gave me Lovenox injections and now I'm on Eliquis. I felt that my left leg was developing one but it feels better. I'm going to continue to take Eliquis to help me with my recovery.

Comment from: Patreena, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My son has all the symptoms of tonsillitis. He also has a head cold with it. He first received ceroxim antibiotics along with cataflam for pain and fever. That didn't start working and so a few days later he received a penicillin injection. That didn't work and so a few days later he received another antibiotics - Zithromax. That did not appear to work as well and then he got Augmentin antibiotics which he is now on but doesn't appear to be working. He is on his second bottle of cataflam. He hardly eats, mostly drink and his fever fluctuates regularly sometimes to a high of 103.5F. His doctor is concerned that it may not be a bacteria but a virus and may just have to run its course. This has been going on for about 8 days now.

Comment from: mbali, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I've been suffering for 1 month from tonsillitis. I used penicillin, Moxypen, Auroxime tablet, locabiotal spray, Andolex spray, and anything you can think off. My father was told by his friend that I should use an alum, he said I must take just a small alum stone and suck it until it is finished and keep on swallowing. Even though it is not cleared up properly, the worst pain has been lowered, I can now eat, and I will still keep on using it until it is cleared up. It does take long to be cured but what I am happy about is lowered pain, sometimes you must suck it and sometimes gargle, it just goes straight to the wound.

Tonsillitis - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of tonsillitis? Did you have recurrent infections?
Tonsillitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis - Surgery Question: Were your tonsils removed? If so, how was this decision made (did you have recurrent infections, sleep apnea, etc.)?
Tonsillitis - Snoring and Other Problems Question: Did enlarged tonsils or adenoids cause sleeping or breathing problems? What was the remedy?