Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?

Comment from: Confused, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a professional woman who is 65 and gave had Addison's and Schmidt's disease since I was 35 years old. I am on hydrocortisone, Florinef, and thyroid medication. I cannot stress the importance of working with an endocrinologist. I recently spent four days in the hospital after a very stressful event in the hottest of summer days. I did not know where I was or what I was doing. My dehydration was also severe. Keeping hydrated is key. As I age my exhaustion has worsened and I gave no appetite.

Comment from: Confused, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I am a professional woman who is 65 and have had Addison's disease and Schmidt's syndrome since I was 35 years old. I am on hydrocortisone, Florinef, and thyroid medication. I cannot stress the importance of working with an endocrinologist. I recently spent four days in the hospital after a very stressful event in the hottest of summer days. I did not know where I was or what I was doing. My dehydration was also severe. Keeping hydrated is key. As I age my exhaustion has worsened and I have no appetite.

Comment from: golfer-63, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a very keen golfer and play regularly. My coach was trying to get me to turn more on the follow through, and this involves greater hip rotation than my previous swing. I was enjoying the new movement and greater power but after practice my hip joint felt 'stretched' and slightly painful. It felt as though a ligament or muscle has been damaged. I went to my local hip specialist and he did an MRI and concluded that the pain was from early stages of arthritis in the labrum area. I was not convinced because the hip is only painful with certain movements, and often has no pain at all for several days. It seems more like soft tissue inflammation to me.

Comment from: Kathy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My son is 34 now, but was 20 when he was diagnosed Addison's disease. The symptoms that stand out the most were fatigue, and a very short temper. That went on for about a year. He had had surgery for a pilonidal cyst about a month before diagnosis, so we both assumed the fatigue, dizziness, lack of appetite, were due to the surgery. But, he wasn"t getting better. I made an appointment with the doctor and my son was put through many tests, to rule out anything else. So, that was almost 15 years ago. He takes cortisone acetate 25 mg twice a day, Eltroxin 50 mcg once a day, and Florinef 0.1 mg once a day. (Cortisone and Synthroid in the morning, and cortisone and Florinef around lunch). Obviously, the medications do their job very well, but, he still suffers from depression, about a 6 on a 1-10 scale. One more rather peculiar, yet interesting thing about his diet is, he likes drinking pickle juice/water, from a jar of pickles. And he can"t get enough Clamato Juice! Perhaps he needs his Florinef dosage adjusted.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease 3 months ago after being unwell for months. I was not eating or drinking very much or sleeping. I couldn't think properly, lacked concentration and became very grey looking. My mother died in July and my doctor diagnosed depression as the cause for all my symptoms. When my symptoms worsened I could not even keep a sip of water down or stay sitting up or holding my head up. My whole body ached and I told my doctor I felt I was dying. I was admitted to the hospital where it took 10 days to diagnose Addison's. I had many blood tests and scans during the 3 weeks I was there and began to improve when I was given hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone along with high doses of vitamin D. I have not been able to return to work yet due to extreme fatigue. Over the last two weeks I've been fighting a stomach bug and a very sore throat so they doubled my hydrocortisone which has helped. I'm hoping I will improve and be as well as the text books say Addisonians get after treatment! Either way it's good to know I am not suffering from depression and I am feeling better than I was prior to diagnosis.

Addison's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?