Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?

Comment from: golfer-63, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a very keen golfer and play regularly. My coach was trying to get me to turn more on the follow through, and this involves greater hip rotation than my previous swing. I was enjoying the new movement and greater power but after practice my hip joint felt 'stretched' and slightly painful. It felt as though a ligament or muscle has been damaged. I went to my local hip specialist and he did an MRI and concluded that the pain was from early stages of arthritis in the labrum area. I was not convinced because the hip is only painful with certain movements, and often has no pain at all for several days. It seems more like soft tissue inflammation to me.

Comment from: Kathy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My son is 34 now, but was 20 when he was diagnosed Addison's disease. The symptoms that stand out the most were fatigue, and a very short temper. That went on for about a year. He had had surgery for a pilonidal cyst about a month before diagnosis, so we both assumed the fatigue, dizziness, lack of appetite, were due to the surgery. But, he wasn"t getting better. I made an appointment with the doctor and my son was put through many tests, to rule out anything else. So, that was almost 15 years ago. He takes cortisone acetate 25 mg twice a day, Eltroxin 50 mcg once a day, and Florinef 0.1 mg once a day. (Cortisone and Synthroid in the morning, and cortisone and Florinef around lunch). Obviously, the medications do their job very well, but, he still suffers from depression, about a 6 on a 1-10 scale. One more rather peculiar, yet interesting thing about his diet is, he likes drinking pickle juice/water, from a jar of pickles. And he can"t get enough Clamato Juice! Perhaps he needs his Florinef dosage adjusted.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease 3 months ago after being unwell for months. I was not eating or drinking very much or sleeping. I couldn't think properly, lacked concentration and became very grey looking. My mother died in July and my doctor diagnosed depression as the cause for all my symptoms. When my symptoms worsened I could not even keep a sip of water down or stay sitting up or holding my head up. My whole body ached and I told my doctor I felt I was dying. I was admitted to the hospital where it took 10 days to diagnose Addison's. I had many blood tests and scans during the 3 weeks I was there and began to improve when I was given hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone along with high doses of vitamin D. I have not been able to return to work yet due to extreme fatigue. Over the last two weeks I've been fighting a stomach bug and a very sore throat so they doubled my hydrocortisone which has helped. I'm hoping I will improve and be as well as the text books say Addisonians get after treatment! Either way it's good to know I am not suffering from depression and I am feeling better than I was prior to diagnosis.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed with Cushing Syndrome in 1997 - I was grossly overweight and felt miserable all of the time. After many doctors I had a CT scan and found benign tumors on my adrenals. I then had a bilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy. That was in 2003. I have lost weight, have darkening of my skin and feel exhausted all of the time. I now have low blood pressure which causes the fainting, I have had a few Addisonian crisis that have scared my family. All in all I manage pretty well. We should start a support group.

Comment from: jacqui, Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been suffering from nausea, vomiting, very fatigued, paleness, kidney infections, sinus infections and just recently started swelling in my face hands and feet this has been going on for about 3 years I have not be diagnosed with anything but I am 40 years old and can no longer be told nothing is wrong, I also have not been having a menstrual period for six months then all of a sudden start bleeding but was told in the emergency that it was not my menstrual period so why am I bleeding they seem to think that I am a hypochondriac which I am not please what should I do and where should I look to begin to see if it is possible that I have Addison's disease. I have been suffering since I was a child symptoms have been more prevalent for about three years now need answers need to know tired of doctors thinking I am making this up or that I am a drug addict thanks sincerely.

Addison's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?