Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?

Comment from: Jundor1977, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I was 12 when I was first diagnosed with Addison's Disease, it's hard to remember anything at that age. Then after that at age 13 I developed type 1 Diabetes. My skin darkened, I lost a lot of weight. It began to get so hard walking up the stairs to my elementary school, I remember all the other children would be gone, and I would have to take a seat on the stairs just to rest for the next few, at the end I couldn't hold anything down and my pediatrician that my mom took me to just didn't know what was causing this. Finally, close to the end he figured it out and I was rushed to the state capital hospital and put in CCU. I remember when I got to the hospital I was given so many shots, and I.V.'s . I was almost dead because of this, they kept me in the hospital for more than 3 months. I still stay very tired life has and never will be the same. I just don't have the energy everyone else has, no matter how many replacement steroids I take.

Comment from: doone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My symptoms were the text book symptoms, but I was not diagnosed until 18-24 months later as it is a rare disease and not many people have it. I was only diagnosed in March and I am still trying to adapt to this. It is a life changing experience and with the support of my lovely consultant and family I will get stronger and better.

Comment from: beka89060, Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a breast cancer survivor and have been cancer free for a year. Stage IV, invasive, metastasized and I beat it. Aggressive Chemo and a lumpectomy. I have always had tenderness of the left breast nipple (cancer side); however, lately the right breast nipple has become tender. Prior to being diagnosed, I was on birth control pills for 26 years, no children and was starting menopause, (at age 41) and very healthy person. I am not pregnant and am told that my cycle will not return.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

At the start of Addison's I had no appetite at all, lost 3 stone, had no energy, and couldn't stand for long periods. After several visits to my doctor I was diagnosed with Addison's. The darkening of my skin and blood tests at the hospital proved this, that was12 years ago.

Addison's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?