Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?

Comment from: AddPatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Symptoms I experienced were extreme fatigue, dizziness/fainting feeling, extreme weakness and chronic pain that was not alleviated by over-the-counter pain medicines. I had some uneven dark pigmentation on the body and darkening of skin on and near scars. Also, I had an increase in headaches and nausea.

Comment from: ABZ, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I am sick feeling, have nausea, and I am vomiting. I am pale, and clammy. This occurred mostly after exercising like playing soccer or baseball in the heat.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a male age 56. I have had this disease for 20 years. When I first was told I had Addison's, I was very sick could not keep anything down, I lost alot of weight I could not stand up or I would pass out, I was told about four months before I had a rare thyroid disease and was being treated for that then I came down with Addison's after that. Everything seems to going fine I have just a few upsets a year. I lead a normal life.

Comment from: mom of AD Daughter, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

When my daughter was in the 4th grade she weighted less than 75 pounds. She ate all the time but didn't gain weight. She was going into a crises mode when I took her to the family doctor. He stated that if she wanted to eat she would. He stated she had an eating disorder. I had to take her to three different hospitals before we got the answer of Addison's Disease. This took a full week but it was worth it to save my child. She is now 17-years-old. We are still dealing and learning that there are many faces of the condition to work around: the weight, the stress, and medication testing to get things to balance out for her. She does go through depression more now and it is hard to make teenagers see that this goes along with her condition and medication for aspects are needed. She is hoping to attend college next year and work in a hospital setting to help other patients with their difficulties.

Comment from: August '08, 45-54 Female Published: August 28

I was 8 years old when I was diagnosed. I was tired a lot, especially when climbing stairs. I had no problem with appetite; I enjoyed eating, but I suffered weight loss anyway. I was much smaller than my younger sister. I was also pale and I remember the shocked look on the nurse's face when she kept reading my low blood pressure. I was a happy child, always singing, so depression was quickly ruled out.

Comment from: Squeek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I was 16 years old when I started having symptoms of Addison's disease. I lost weight without trying. I would sometimes not have my periods. I couldn't walk from chair to chair without stopping from exhaustion.

Published: July 10

At the on-set of my Addison's Disease I felt like I was coming down with the flu. I had lost about 20 pounds without trying. Could not stand for very long periods of time - as I felt like I would pass out or faint. When I first went to the doctor he diagnosed me with depression. Within 3 days of the depression diagnosis I was in the hospital, I first had an Angiogram, and some various x-rays. After two days in the hospital I was diagnosed and in Addison's crisis. Spent a total of 5 days in the hospital, however have been great since that was 3 years ago at the age of 41.

Published: July 07

At the onset of my Addison's disease, I experienced confusion with an inability to use common sense. I had extreme tiredness, sleeping 15 to 20 hours each day, with muscle weakness, irrational mood swings, sores in my mouth and sensitive gums.

Addison's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?