Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?

Comment from: Janey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a biopsy done on my chest area about 1990. The problem was about the size of a pimple. The surgeon cut in from both ends and removed the spot. I had a scar about an inch long which looked so bad I always kept it covered with higher necks or a scarf. I developed 3 large keloids on the scar which not only looked bad, but were so painful and would wake me up at night. I finally had reconstruction surgery as I could no longer stand the pain. My scar is now 3 1/2 inches long and I was told it would take 6 to 8 months to heal. I am hoping this will take away a lot of the pain and not develop into something worse. More research is needed.

Comment from: looby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am in the process of being tested for Addison's disease after years of feeling fatigued, exercise intolerant, breathless and now nausea, some sort of confusion; it's weird, I started off really foggy and now I just can't seem to think straight. Spelling is out the door for me. I get dizzy at the drop of a hat, can't stand for more than a few minutes. I have painful shoulder and neck because of a spasmed muscle. I used to eat really healthy, now I just eat when I can, because I just don't feel like it anymore. My tummy is always upset. I have to be careful if I get upset because that sets me back majorly. My last test of cortisol was 2 in the morning and 7 at night. Because my cortisol was 7 at night, within range, the doctor I was seeing wouldn't do anything. So I am heading to home country and the doctor there will do something, thankfully. I am so tired even after 10 hours of sleep!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had Addison's disease since 1992 and have learned to cope with it pretty well. I was sick for months, and almost died before the diagnosis due to flippant medical care, that prescribed all kinds of medicines for different ailments I didn't have. I lost 30 pounds, started turning very tan and did see an endocrinologist, who failed to diagnose it, as she found I was hypothyroid. It is important I think to see a doctor that knows you and knows what you are supposed to look like. My son's pediatrician finally put a name to it the day I was about to shut down. I checked myself into a hospital that night, and my lab tests were so bad they didn't want me to sleep. I was treated and felt born again. I up my dosage if sick or dragging. And my voice gets deeper if I don't have enough medicine in me. I take Florinef and prednisone, and have taken Cortef in the past as well.

Comment from: Mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had 3 years of extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting, muscle aches, salt cravings, diarrhea, loss of appetite, stomach pain, tanned skin, and weight loss. Many emergency room (ER) visits and hospitalizations resulted in being diagnosed with anorexia, dehydration, and alcoholism (I had not had alcohol in three years). Finally after reaching a weight of 85 pounds did a physician consult endocrinology! He took a look at me and said 'I am 99% positive you have Addison's!' A cortisol stimulation test confirmed it. I am much better. I still fatigue easily. And I have a tan all year long!

Comment from: sb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I seemed to be nauseated, had diarrhea, or I was vomiting most of my waking hours. I was so exhausted, weak, and achy and many times felt faint, with low blood pressure. Always being a very light sleeper for as long as I can remember, I should have noticed how deeply I was sleeping when my sister could not get me to answer my door for almost a half hour. I went to my primary care physician and had lost over 30 pounds and had no appetite and thought I was dying! I was depressed and scared to death. My doctor said he would look at my chart (I had been seeing him for over 12 years, fairly sizeable chart) from front to back and promised he would do everything within his power to find out what was wrong with me. He did, after much blood work and urine tests... Addison"s disease! I got on hydrocortisone and have done better but I"m still so tired all the time. But the nausea, diarrhea, extremely low blood pressure and loss of appetite have gone. And my cardiologist found (when I wore a monitor) that at night my heart rate would go down to 22 and there were times that my heart did not beat at all for 8 seconds. So now I have a pacemaker. I don"t know if that is related to the Addison"s. I was diagnosed in July of 2011 with the first stage of Addison"s. Is there a second or a third stage or does something else happen! At the time I was diagnosed with Addison"s my doctor said I had the first stage of kidney disease. So, is that what is next? I now have so much swelling in my ankles and calves that my body seriously almost looks deformed. And, oh yes, I do take a fluid pill and it stills happens every day!

Addison's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?