Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?

Comment from: Candace001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have been diagnosed with adrenal mass and now have had blown out diarrhea for 10 days. There is no stool formation in my diarrhea and also I am diabetic on 4 shots of insulin a day.

Comment from: ali, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

At the onset of my Addison's disease, I experienced hyperpigmentation all over my body.

Comment from: AUgrad, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease when I was around 7 years old. For about a year, I had issues with fatigue and stomach pains. I would be in class and just fall out of my desk and then fall asleep in the back of the classroom where my teacher had been. I would not want to go outside, I would throw up repeatedly. My mother took me to the doctor multiple times during these symptoms. Every time, the doctor would reply that I looked healthy and I probably just did not like school. (I still had straight As.) It got to the point where my school expelled me until I had a clean bill of health. My mother went to my doctor and demanded he do blood work. We went back home, and the next day I was listless, tired, and puking a lot. The doctor called with the blood results and told them to rush me to the hospital. I was in an adrenal crisis. After I started the steroids, I was fine. I still love salt though!

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My sister just died of Addison's disease. She had extreme exhaustion, vomiting, couldn't keep anything down. She was in and out of the hospital, sometimes three months, sometimes two weeks. We will miss her. She had this disease for two years. She was 45 years old.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was in a car accident and suffered a concussion. I was sent home and told to rest for a week. My health began to decline, and I went to my family doctor. I was having difficulty walking, speaking, experienced confusion, severe headaches, rapid weight loss, and was sleeping 18-20 hours a day. He referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist immediately sent me to the ER. I began vomiting and my blood pressure was extremely low. I was given cortisone Iv's and my condition rapidly improved. Tests were done and it was determined that I had Addison's. For the past 20 years, I have had similar symptoms, although never as severe doctors chalked it up to depression, anorexia, low blood pressure, and that I was a hypochondriac. I still experience the fatigue, and there are still days when I have to lie down and rest. I also have to adjust my cortisone even for minor illnesses such as colds and dental procedures. My immune system is also not what it should be. I was a teacher and caught everything the kids brought in. It has been over a year and my dosage is anywhere from 25 to 40 mil. per day. Wish I could lower it, but my endocrinologist says that my tests are coming out normal on the higher dosage so I can't taper off just yet.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Addison's disease came as a rude shock for me. I am a part-time teacher, mother of five and a sports coach. I had been struggling with feeling low, always tired (thought that was motherhood) and couldn't knock off a gastro flu. I had been in bed for four days this is very unusual for me. My eldest daughter came home from school on day 4 and rang my husband saying 'mum looks weird'. That phone call probably saved my life. I was suffering from dehydration and a very low sodium count. I spent the next five days in ICU in an induced coma. When I came too the doctor's told me their diagnosis was Addison's disease. Looking back the key was tiredness, but even more was early MENOPAUSE. After 5 beautiful children I stopped menstruating at the age of 35 something was wrong. I am now learning how to deal with Addison's and my new life. I nearly lost my life in a crisis now everyday is a new day and worth living. I hope I can share my story with other women and be part of the education of people about Addison's Disease.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had tremendous exhaustion with my Addison's disease. It was so bad that I could not put socks on without taking a break and lying down. I was also tan, especially on my elbows. All I could do was lie down. Thankfully, I work from home and would sit at my computer for an hour, holding my head up the whole time and then sleep for three hours. I had been to the doctor three times because I had extreme diarrhea and vomiting at the same time for three weeks. Looking back, I had been deteriorating and was exhausted for months. But when you are in the midst of it, you can't tell what normal ever felt like. I went to the doctor for the fourth time in three weeks and he sent me immediately to the emergency room because he could not get my blood pressure and my temperature was too low.

Addison's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?