Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience

Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.

Comment from: jferg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My husband has not long been diagnosed with Addison's, for nearly 6 months he was vomiting with no appetite. He was passing out when he stood up and had lost over 4 stones in weight. The doctors were just giving him anti-sickness tablets until 1 day I rang the doctors crying saying my husband is dying in front of my eyes and no one is helping him. As a result he was flown to the hospital and kept in for 37 days where they found out he has Addison's. He is better now thanks to steroids but suffers from tiredness and sore joints a lot.

Comment from: rkane911, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease when I was 8 years old. I was in and out of the hospital numerous times and almost died twice. My disease had the doctors stumped until a Chinese woman doctor wouldn't stop doing research to figure out what it was. I couldn't walk more than 2 feet without collapsing on the ground and I only weighed 50 pounds because I couldn't keep any food down. After they figured out what I had they put me on prednisone and Florinef and I have been on the same medication for 23 years. They still have no clue what caused my adrenal glands to fail.

Comment from: LReed, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My teenage daughter was diagnosed with Addison's disease. Her symptoms started 2 years before she was diagnosed and included severe tiredness, feeling faint every time she tried to stand (even for a few minutes), darkening of her skin, and she felt sick to her stomach. Her symptoms started slowly and got worse over time. She was misdiagnosed by many doctors. My daughter collapsed in the bathroom one night and was rushed to the hospital where they found her blood pressure and blood sugar were both extremely low. It was such a relief to receive a diagnosis. She is doing much better now but still has problems with tiredness and muscle weakness. The doctors are still trying to find the right balance of medication to treat her disease.

Comment from: Maggie4, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My husband recently was hospitalized for pneumonia. He has home for about two weeks. He has no appetite and is experiencing nausea. Also, he has stage 4 kidney disease (creatinine is level 4), he has had one adrenal gland removed, and we know the other adrenal gland has a benign cyst in it. I'm thinking he might have Addison's disease. I have wanted him to get his thyroid checked, because my mother had thyroid disease and these are also some of the symptoms she had before her caregiver found it, after her weight went to 82 pounds.

Addison's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your Addison's disease?
Addison's Disease - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of Addison's disease in you or a relative?