Patient Comments: Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Comment from: My2munchkins, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My daughter is 7 years old now. Back in 2007 she underwent surgery in her elbow (her elbow knob broke when she fell down). In 2010 she stayed in the hospital because of bursitis that was infected; they tapped her and drained the liquid from her elbow. And now in 2014 the liquid is back in her elbow and she needs to see a specialist again. I am worried this is going to be a lifetime experience for my daughter, it is heartbreaking!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have had recurrent bursitis (usually in one shoulder or hip) for nearly 20 years. It always occurs when I overwork a joint (particularly with repetitive movements, or sitting for long periods in one position) and some foods can help trigger an episode (dairy, wheat, yeast and red meats). Cold weather can also be a factor, though damp isn't. The initial pain is severe in the joint, and sometimes I have a general inflammatory illness for a few days (like the flu). I have found the best way to treat it is by complete rest until the inflammation subsides, then starting movements gradually. The most helpful is daily qigong, which keeps my joints mobile and usually pain-free, and also improves my spirits. I find mindfulness meditation also very helpful with the anxiety and mood swings which can accompany any chronic illness. I hope you also find ways to manage your pain and live a full life.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had chronic hip bursitis for almost 6 years. I wasn"t treated correct when I first got it. So now it is chronic with a grade 1 strain of the right gluteus minimus. I got another cortisone shot 2 weeks ago, with some relief. But it hurts so badly when I sit at my desk every day.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been getting shots every 3 to 4 months in my right hip for eight years, will this ever get better! I cannot walk far and the pain is unreal. The bursitis started when I began riding my bike, after 4 years not doing anything. My right leg went numb, felt like a wooden leg. I went to physical therapy and they pulled and rubbed my leg. I got feeling back but also acute pain. Impossible to exercise or walk far.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was told I have bursitis in both hips. I was given pain medicine and it caused me to swell. I had 7lbs of water in 1 week. I was told if I did not take 3 cortisone shots I cannot walk or exercise. I choose not to take them. When I stand my hips and buttocks swell, and when I walk I cannot lift my feet. I do not wish this pain on my worst enemy.

Comment from: zoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

When cortisone treatment does not work, it makes the bursitis worse.

Comment from: Valerie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I went for a massage and the masseuse pulled my leg to one side to stretch it. She did the same procedure to both legs. The next day I had a huge collection of fluid on my hip the size of an orange. They said it was a bursa. No pain, but it is about the same size today as two weeks ago. The ortho MD told me to stop taking the inflammatory given to me in the emergency room and to put ice. He says if it bothers me, he may need to drain it.

Comment from: rosebud, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I've been suffering from what I suppose is bursitis in my right hip for years now. I had sciatica but was able to get it under control with steroid shots to my spine some years ago. I love to go on long walks. By the time I get home I'm limping and in agony. Someone described the feeling as "on fire" which is right on. I've tried ice packs, Tylenol for arthritis, physical therapy and those don't work. Previously, I took OxyContin and Percocet, which I weaned myself off of a couple years ago. Being addicted to prescription drugs is worse than the pain. I'm thinking of trying cortisone shots again. There doesn't seem to be any new breakthroughs in treatment. I sympathize with all of you who have this ailment. No one can understand the constant pain, struggle to walk, or the inability to get comfortable in bed. My heart goes out to you.

Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your bursitis?
Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bursitis?