Patient Comments: Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Comment from: Angela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had chronic hip bursitis for 15 months from lifting heavy groceries and from a fall I had. Cortisone injection made it worse. I tried a few different things which didn't work. The most effective treatment I have personally found is remedial massage once a week. I found a very experienced masseur and am sticking to her. The stiffness and pain are lesser and a little of the swelling has gone.

Comment from: Winters, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have suffered from bursitis of the hips for over 20 years. After seeing over 17 doctors and going to physiotherapy to 4 different therapists, prolotherapy, acupressure, acupuncture, massage therapy, cortisone shots that didn't help even for a minute, and a TENS unit, the only thing that has helped are narcotics. The law only allows me two a day and now they don't work. It's a constant burning pain. I have numbness and tingling at times. No one has offered or suggested surgery, at this point could the pain be any worse! Depression has set in multiple times because of the lack of relief. There is a sports medicine doctor who advertises a FRAMS method of treatment, I wonder if I should yet add another doctor to the list.

Comment from: Susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I've suffered with trochanteric (hip) bursitis for 30 years after a heavy fall onto my hip. At first it was kept at bay by regular steroid injections, but after about 27 years they ceased to work at all. The pain I had had also increased to the level where I needed opiate drugs from my doctor. In the end I opted to have surgery to remove the bursa. I was told it was a 1 in 3 failure rate, and if it failed I would have either slightly less or the same pain. I thought it was worth it as my pain never lets up day or night and I'm disabled because of it; walking makes it worse. I had the surgery last year and from when I came round, to the present day, I've had the worst pain I've ever known, and 18 months later, no let up! I'd say it's about 300% worse than before my operation, and now even opiate drugs seem to have little effect. So now I'm more or less housebound, and sitting, standing, or lying makes it worse. I don't know what the answer is. All I can say is, don't go for the surgical option.

Comment from: SidinTerr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had bursitis in my right hip for about 3 years. I have had two steroid injections which were agony and did not help me in the least. I now have the same in my left bursa (hip)! I am now trying anti-inflammatory gel and hope to get some relief from the pain. It is not just in the hip but in the whole leg and sometimes the feet too. I'm pretty active and find it difficult to rest so I just keep taking the pain killers! I get OSMO patches online from Australia and they do help.

Comment from: My2munchkins, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My daughter is 7 years old now. Back in 2007 she underwent surgery in her elbow (her elbow knob broke when she fell down). In 2010 she stayed in the hospital because of bursitis that was infected; they tapped her and drained the liquid from her elbow. And now in 2014 the liquid is back in her elbow and she needs to see a specialist again. I am worried this is going to be a lifetime experience for my daughter, it is heartbreaking!

Comment from: marylene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a cyclist and have had a few falls over the years. I injured my elbow last year in a fall, mostly skin but I fell hard. It healed with no infection (skinned knee as well). A few years earlier, I had a fall on that elbow that required stitches, got infected and resulted in Popeye's elbow (and of course a scar). I recently noticed that on the point of my elbow under the skin is a small soft lump that hurts when I press it, knock it or put on a hard surface. My elbow isn't sore or stiff otherwise, just the area of the lump. The fall was a year ago, and I would like to know where that lump came from after all this time. I wonder if it could be bursitis of some sort. I'm wondering if I should get it looked at.

Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your bursitis?
Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bursitis?