Patient Comments: Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Comment from: notthatold-lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a "middle aged, overweight woman" just like the article says, and I suffer from bursitis in the hips and thigh. The night pain is terrible. I sleep on a 3" memory foam pad which actually doesn't help the pressure point pain. Cortizone injections help almost immediately but only last for a couple months. Aleve (naproxyn) is supposed to be good for this as it is an anti-inflamatory.

Comment from: bobbsieJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I first had pain in my groin after standing from sitting for some time. I now have some lower back pain, pain across my buttocks, the top of my hip bone, down my legs, & my knees. The burning pain is so strong I have a great deal of trouble walking any distance, and have to get wheelchair assistance in airports. I too suffer from dull cramps in my legs at night. I take Celebrex & Tylenol #3 but, I do not get full relief. I have a lot of trouble raising my right leg to get into our SUV.

Comment from: thejper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I've had bursitis of the left hip for 2 1/2 years, two cortisone shots with no relief. I now have bursitis of the right hip. I finally got a shot for that and it has worked there. The constant burning never goes away while seated; sleeping is difficult also.

Comment from: krist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I've had ongoing pain in the right groin area for 4 years. I've seen 2 physiotherapists who gave me a range of exercises which have helped slightly, and have now only just seen a specialist who thinks it maybe bursitis. I explained the facts and figures and am now waiting for more tests. I have been told I may have to take anti inflammatory drugs which I've already tried numerous times and cannot take for more than 5 days as I end up with chronic stomach pains. I just long to have a decent nights sleep and to have a normal pain free life.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have been having problems with hip bursitis for almost two years. As the problems increased, I tried all the self helps. Then I went to PT for two months but that do little to help the problem. As the pain increased, I had to retire from my teaching job. I tried injections twice. They worked but only lasted for a month. The doctor sent me back to PT where I spent 3 months doing the stretching, etc. Still I got little relief. Since I am overweight, I decided to lose some of the extra poundage. After losing 40 lbs. I still do not get any relief. I have no idea what to do next.

Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your bursitis?
Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bursitis?