Patient Comments: Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Comment from: jim468, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I am a 70 year old male who suffers from bursitis. In the right hip area and the pain from the inflammation migrates down across the thigh into the knee. Pain also refers to the lower spine - tailbone area. I also suffer from osteoarthritis in both knees and suspect it might also be in my lower spine. I get some relief from icing, but it is short lived. I sleep on my back and use a pillow between my knees. Walking and standing are difficult. I am going to try acupuncture - my last resort.

Comment from: tooyoung19, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm 19 years old working as a waitress and a second job as a secretary and I have bursitis in both hips and my left shoulder. It will flare up when I'm serving; walking around as much as I do. And my hips will wake me up several times every night. When I wake up in the morning it takes up to 5 minutes just be able to walk out of my room. Stretching and icing helps so much to relieve the pain. My doctor also prescribed me to Meloxicam and it has seemed to help a little bit, but I haven't been on it quite long enough to see any major improvements. It's some of the worst pain I've ever been in.

Comment from: zscandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was an active 52-year-old woman. I started experiencing hip pain back in August 2009. My doctor put me on anti-inflammatory medications for a while, which took care of the pain. After four months, though, the pills stopped working. I also tried a sports massage, but once I got off the table, the pain was back. I also tried acupuncture twice, but the pain was unbearable. I went to urgent care and they thought it was bursitis, so I got the cortisone show with little improvement. Finally, I bought Osteo Bi-Flex at the drug store, and it has worked for me!

Comment from: KC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am a 43-year-old woman, and I have been suffering from right and left shoulder pain for almost a year. I couldn't sleep at night, and it was getting very hard for me to lift my arm. I was taking all kinds of over-the-counter medicine and none of it was working. I went to the doctor yesterday, and I was told that I have bursitis in both of my shoulders. The doctor gave me a shot which helped ease the pain the next day. When I first went to the doctor I was told that I was holding my shoulders stiff. I do still have some motion in them, but I was told that if I didn't go to the doctor when I did, that l may have developed frozen shoulder. I know what other people are going through. Sorry this is a painful condition.

Comment from: SS/VB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have bursitis in both hips -- at least that is the diagnoses I received. After reading about bursitis, I attribute it from getting thrown to many times while horseback riding years ago. The odd thing is that it bothers me most when I'm trying to sleep. The only way I can get relief is with a pillow under my knees and flat on my back, even with that I'm still up and down all night. Cortisone shots help but there must be something that I can do.

Comment from: petal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I just found out I have bursitis disease of the hips. I'm glad to find out it's something because I have been unable to even sit down without being uncomfortable. No matter what I do, there is nothing that seems to help to get this nagging pain to go away. I am due to start injections, which I don't want, but I've got no choice. Oh, to just get rid of the constant pain!!!

Comment from: prettybaby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I am 38 years old and suffer from hip bursitis in both hips. I have had treatment for the condition, but every time, it seems to get worse. I can no longer sit for more than 10 minutes at a time, nor can I sleep for more than one hour at a time. I am frustrated and I need help. I'm tired of crying all the time.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have been told I have bursitis in the left hip area. I have had Cortisone injections and obtained relief which only lasted one week. Interestingly enough, when the hip pain went away for that week, my lower back pain I had also went away. Now I am going to physical therapy and doing an exercise the therapist calls a nerve glide. It hurts a lot when I do it. Luckily, I am able to sleep well at night. When I get up, it really hurts though.

Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your bursitis?
Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bursitis?