Patient Comments: Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Comment from: roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have pain in both left and right buttocks and the bursitis causes difficulty in walking.

Comment from: zoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

When cortisone treatment does not work, it makes the bursitis worse.

Comment from: lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I developed a burning pain in my left shoulder. I ended up with a frozen shoulder and years of bursitis. I was told I had pain memory. Very funny. I requested an ultrasound and the doctor found I had bad inflammation.

Comment from: 22.with.a.cane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I'm a 22 year old female dealing with bursitis. I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I've tried everything such as ice, rest, elevation, anti-inflammatory medications, physiotherapy, ultrasound treatment, low-level laser therapy, cortisone injections every four months for five years, and narcotics for pain. After all these treatments, the condition has gotten worse and I developed iliotibial band syndrome in my right leg. Now I'm waiting for a date for surgery. It's my last option.

Comment from: SVDebP58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

My hip pain started 6 1/2 weeks after being bucked off my horse. The brunt of the fall was mainly on my right side with a slight tear in the tendon that adjoins the top of the shoulder to the collar bone. I have had 2 sets of radiographs and an MRI. All of which show fractures. I am waiting for a bone scan now. I am 58 years old and although I am overweight, I am very active. I am also a caregiver to my mother.

Comment from: KerryL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 63-year-old woman who has been told by one doctor that the dreadful paid I have in my left hip is trochanteric bursitis. I have twice had steroid injections, which only helped for a couple of weeks. The pain used be dulled by pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs, but they don't seem to work as well any more. I saw a different doctor today who now says it may not be bursitis, but related to my back problem (I have had two back operations, 40 years apart and have titanium cage holding the spine together).

Comment from: teifibanc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I have trochanteric bursitis on both hips. I had a very successful anti-inflammatory injection in the left hip, but have had 3 in the right hip but all to no avail. I do not know what to do next.

Comment from: jamar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 53 and was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis in the left hip in 2005. I have been on roller coaster of cortisone shots, physical therapy, various pain killers, weight loss, hot packs and cold packs. Everything is short lived and if I could have those bursa surgically removed I would.

Comment from: student, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am a 22-year-old male student at the University of Nairobi. I have bursitis in my right hip and I have trouble standing for long or sitting for long. It feels like my hip is burning from the inside out. I even feel pain when I get into bed at night.

Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your bursitis?
Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bursitis?