Patient Comments: Acupuncture - Process

Have you had acupuncture? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: dance-a-lot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I was in my early 60s when I began experiencing sciatica. The pain happened when I rode long distances in a car or when I sat longer than 20 to 30 minutes. My pain was so intense that tears would run down my face. Fortunately, my job as an activity director in an assisted living retirement home gave me the option of standing nearly all day. Upon the suggestion of a close relative, I called an acupuncturist and within 3 months I was pain free. Recently I was a passenger in a car that was in a minor accident and I am now looking for an acupuncturist in my area.

Comment from: Jersey lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I experienced a sharp pain when the needles were put into my wrists. The right wrist was the worse one. This happened on two of my visits to the acupuncture clinic. I won't go back.

Comment from: Male Hot Flash, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a male being treated for metastasized prostate cancer. The hormone treatment has caused hot flashes. After several months, I tried acupuncture for relief. After three treatments my hot flashes have subsided.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

My sciatica turned for the worse on February 15 and I have been on crutches for 4 months now. I am pre-operation for fusion of my L5-S1 and laminectomy of L1-2, and L2-3 on August 1. I had extreme leg pain and numb feet causing me to lose balance and the ability to walk and kneel without a walker or crutches. The numbness in my feet worried me. My acupuncturist devised a schedule of treatment beginning on May 15th. Now two months later I have very little pain in my legs and my feet are almost free of numbness. I will be ready for surgery with new found confidence.

Comment from: back pain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had lower back injury 4 years ago and was told pain pills is all I have left for treatment. I have pain in lower back, hip, thigh, groin, and leg. With the first acupuncture treatment I felt 40% better. I went back today for 2nd treatment and I can wiggle my foot around with no pain tonight. I will be going back! I am a true believer now! It is somewhat expensive but cheaper than an office call at the M.D. 'medicine man!'

Comment from: myFoot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

Yes, I have tried acupuncture. It seems to provide temporary relief, not a long term fix or solution.

Comment from: mcverge, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I tried acupuncture as a treatment for bursitis of the hip. I had been getting cortisone shots every 4 months but knew they could not continue indefinitely so a naturopath told me to try acupuncture. After 2 treatments the pain has gone and I am able to exercise and walk as I used to. Miraculous if you ask me!

Comment from: bernie11062, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have acupuncture done on my leg pain. I have what feels like "pinch" in my groin area and pain radiates down my thigh. Acupuncture has been the only thing that has worked for me to relieve the terrible pain and stiffness in my back and leg. Pain medications would never phase the pain at all except for oxycodone, which my doctor will not give. I went to acupuncture because I was desperate to find relief, and it worked! I am going now but was pain free for 4 years.

Acupuncture - Conditions Question: For what condition did you receive acupuncture treatment? Did it help?