Patient Comments: Acupuncture - Process

Have you had acupuncture? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my first acupuncture treatment today and I thought it was very painful and it cost USD 85. He told me I need to see him 2 times a week for 2 months. I don't know how people can possibly afford this. My insurance won't cover any part of it. I'm doing it for help with weight loss. I'm hoping that I can save money on food so maybe I can afford the treatments!

Comment from: RT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have suffered with low back pain for 10 years and knee and leg stiffness/pain for 5 years. I've tried everything from cortisone to nerve blocks/burns with little to no relief. I had resolved myself to chronic pain with some relief from medications. I recently started having numbness/tingling in my left ring and pinky finger and sought out an acupuncturist to see if that would help. Although I haven't seen much relief with the tingling, I did see instant relief from my back and leg pain. I have only been twice, but I plan to continue and hope the results will be lasting.

Comment from: dance-a-lot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I was in my early 60s when I began experiencing sciatica. The pain happened when I rode long distances in a car or when I sat longer than 20 to 30 minutes. My pain was so intense that tears would run down my face. Fortunately, my job as an activity director in an assisted living retirement home gave me the option of standing nearly all day. Upon the suggestion of a close relative, I called an acupuncturist and within 3 months I was pain free. Recently I was a passenger in a car that was in a minor accident and I am now looking for an acupuncturist in my area.

Comment from: Jersey lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I experienced a sharp pain when the needles were put into my wrists. The right wrist was the worse one. This happened on two of my visits to the acupuncture clinic. I won't go back.

Comment from: Male Hot Flash, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a male being treated for metastasized prostate cancer. The hormone treatment has caused hot flashes. After several months, I tried acupuncture for relief. After three treatments my hot flashes have subsided.

Comment from: myFoot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

Yes, I have tried acupuncture. It seems to provide temporary relief, not a long term fix or solution.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

My sciatica turned for the worse on February 15 and I have been on crutches for 4 months now. I am pre-operation for fusion of my L5-S1 and laminectomy of L1-2, and L2-3 on August 1. I had extreme leg pain and numb feet causing me to lose balance and the ability to walk and kneel without a walker or crutches. The numbness in my feet worried me. My acupuncturist devised a schedule of treatment beginning on May 15th. Now two months later I have very little pain in my legs and my feet are almost free of numbness. I will be ready for surgery with new found confidence.

Comment from: back pain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had lower back injury 4 years ago and was told pain pills is all I have left for treatment. I have pain in lower back, hip, thigh, groin, and leg. With the first acupuncture treatment I felt 40% better. I went back today for 2nd treatment and I can wiggle my foot around with no pain tonight. I will be going back! I am a true believer now! It is somewhat expensive but cheaper than an office call at the M.D. 'medicine man!'

Acupuncture - Conditions Question: For what condition did you receive acupuncture treatment? Did it help?