Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have been treated with Imiquimod and had over 100 AK (actinic keratosis) lesions. It was painful and bloody, but effective. I am treating my lip now, it is a drag. However, all my AK is highly visible and I want to avoid surgery. Imiquimod is effective for me so I tolerate the side effects. No more sun for me, all long sleeves and # 50 SPF.

Comment from: MonkeysMommy2008, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 41 and have AK spots on both cheeks; two on upper lip and one very recently has appeared on my arm. I have been dealing with the ones on my face for years and I feel like "you name it, I have tried it". Nothing works, not even freezing. My dermatologist just called me in an Rx for Picato which was just approved by the FDA in 2012. Fingers crossed and I will try to remember to post a follow-up.

Comment from: Tomas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

After your actinic keratosis treatments, get some liquid vitamin E, and rub it on the treated areas. I've been doing that for years, and I swear it helps.

Comment from: Restored Health, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

Has anyone worked on their liver, stopped eating wheat/gluten or used essential oils or herbs? I have someone that has actinic keratosis (AK). I am going to work on their liver and use essential oils and herbs. I will let you know what happens!

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was fighting a bad chest bug and remembered after a few weeks that I used to use grapefruit seed extract for all our winter ails, sore throat, ear aches, colds, etc. I have almost whooped the chest ailment but noticed to my wonderful surprise that the actinic keratosis on the back of my hands and other area of my arms, back and face are clearing up. I have tried many treatments over the years and they just keep getting worse, so imagine my surprise and relief when they started to clear up. I have been taking 10 drops every day and now I have increased to 15 a day. I hope this is the beginning of the end. I'll just wait and see.

Comment from: JNfromMS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My doctor has burned off several keratosis, but they are all over my arms and legs. I so resent my love affair with the sun. If I could do it all over I would have worn sunscreen all of the time.

Comment from: GuineaPete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had actinic keratosis on the backs of my hands and to a lesser extent on the tops of the forearms (areas that have had the most sun exposure) for over 11 years. Recently I went on a very low fat diet (for other reasons) but kept making sure I was getting enough essential fatty acids (omega 3 + correct ratio of omega 6). About 3 tablespoons of flax meal and a quarter cup of raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds every day with my big salad. I also juice spinach or dandelion or collard or kale 2-3 times a week and chug it down, and take a little spirulina twice a week. All these carotenoids and good fat (and control of total fat) have been making the keratoses disappear. Also have one non-keratosis brown spot that was beginning to worry me. It is visibly shrinking! Fun to watch this happening. It's hard to stop going under the light and staring at the progress a few times a day. You can almost watch as it happens. Now I am doing two more things to push it: applying no-stain Lugol's iodine solution some days, and other days or later the same day applying tiny bits of zeaxanthin and lutein from gel capsules. It stains my hands orange for a day or so but who cares! It's all obviously working. I'm so glad to finally be winning against these ugly little things.

Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?