Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?

Comment from: Ken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been dealing with pancreatitis since 2010. I have had many surgeries due to adhesions, gall bladder removed and also appendix. The pain along with my adhesions are incredible and I do receive treatment for pain which has been going on the 10 plus years now. Not once have my blood tests came back stating anything is wrong. The only test that is out of whack is my triglycerides and they stay right at the 480 to 490 range. The doctor does not want to treat that because the medicine makes your cholesterol go up and I cannot tolerate those medicines at all. I have tried everything possible even half of the lowest dose possible but cannot take these. Some doctors I have seen do not believe I have pancreatitis, others say I might, and yet a couple of others say I do but there is nothing that can be done. I am not diabetic and one doctor has told me I may never become diabetic and before that happens I might have system failure of some sort. On the rare occasion I do go to the emergency room I get treated like a drug addict so those trips are few and far between. I am on two pain medications, Creon, and a couple arthritis medicines and they make it so at least I can get out of bed and stay mobile somewhat. I have no identifiable symptoms and when I had my ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) the doctor came in and told me it was the easiest one he has ever done, 'but one thing puzzled me,' he said, 'your pancreas is not making any enzymes,' and he put me on Creon and out the door he went. I live a life of pain and it is a miserable life and doctors do not want to take the extra step and others state continue what you are doing taking your pain pills and get you blood test every three months. It is not anything I would wish on anyone (well there might be a couple doctors) and wish something there could be done for people like me. Now this thing with opioids I am afraid is going to make it even worse for us! I could go on and on like most of us could but that is that short side of my painful miserable life I have had for 10 plus years now. I wish the best for everyone! And by the way I do not drink, have never done drugs and that is yet another thing doctors find puzzling. So my case is very puzzling and doctors refuse to believe I have pancreatitis because I do not have any blood work troubles and that it is just impossible for this to happen without your lipase and others to be out of whack! I wish the pain would stop!

Comment from: TreetmeNikely, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I was helping my husband put up our trampoline and accidently backed into the drill he had just put down after drilling a hole into some metal conduit. I know for a fact that he has used this drill for at least 100 different uses, so goodness knows what's really on that drill bit. My wound is hot to the touch and my calf where it punctured is red, swollen and painful. Whenever I stand up it hurts much more.

Comment from: Bcry, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I have used multiple products for actinic keratosis, mostly creams, in the past. None of those seemed to work. I'm glad I learned about SR Lotion from a colleague. It's been two weeks since I first used it. I have seen the result right away, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Who knows! This might be the one I am looking for.

Comment from: Spam21, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Three weeks ago I was prescribed Picato gel for actinic keratosis, after trying everything else; my doctor was reluctant to give it to me as it is expensive. Week one, the areas blistered and looked terrible, week 2 the areas dried and started to peel and week three, I have some scarring but it is hardly noticeable. I am moisturizing morning and evening and using factor 50 sunscreen daily.

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have been treated with Imiquimod and had over 100 AK (actinic keratosis) lesions. It was painful and bloody, but effective. I am treating my lip now, it is a drag. However, all my AK is highly visible and I want to avoid surgery. Imiquimod is effective for me so I tolerate the side effects. No more sun for me, all long sleeves and # 50 SPF.

Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?