Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Comment from: GlynnFromOklahoma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have never ever been a person to get in the sun since I was a child. I have never had a bad sunburn. I am, however, very fair skinned and in the last 3 decades have had keratoacanthoma, squamous cell cancer, and now inflamed actinic keratoses. It"s a mystery to me how someone who takes extraordinary measures to keep out of the sun still continues to get these lesions of varying degrees. My father had an awful keratoacanthoma of his ear that required removing the entire top of his ear. But he was a farmer. He later died of lung cancer. I am not sure there is a connection but it certainly bears being vigilant about your skin and bringing new lesions to the attention of your medical provider.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent many hot summers outside in Maryland as a child and never used any protection on my skin. Now that I am in my fifties I had an actinic keratosis on the center of my nose. I had it removed by my dermatologist and she told me to always put sunblock on my skin even when it is cloudy outside.

Comment from: Mrrphh, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am a 70 year old fair skinned female. I grew under the soggy silvery satin skies of Seattle, where we do not tan but only rust. I did go to India when I was 18 and stayed there in the equatorial latitudes for nearly a decade; I suspect that was the sun exposure that led me to this moment with actinic keratosis. Well, that and the fact that I"ve been immune suppressed for 30+ years for an autoimmune disease that I have. I have just the one periauricular lesion on the left, in front of my ear. I didn"t see it because I don"t have a mirror, but I felt it, and it itched, and if I scratched it bled. This carried on for about 6 months before I showed it to a dermatologist. Doctor biopsied it, though, and we may go straight to freezing, slashing, or burning!

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am fair skinned and used to be a sun worshipper. I have had 2 basal cell skin cancers. One on the nose, and the other on the cheek. I have had solar keratosis for 25 years. For a long time the dermatologists didn't know what it was. It is the worst on my legs. I had it frozen off, and used ever type of topical medicine there is. None of it worked. I even tried the natural stuff. Surely in this day and age there is something that works!

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I grew up in a beach town and was constantly in the sun, until my 40s. I now have actinic keratosis and have had it for about 5 years. My doctor gave me clotrimazole and betamethasone propionate cream USP, 1%/0.05%. I get it mostly on my legs, arms and shoulders; mostly on legs. I use it on the spots twice a day and eventually they do dry up and fall off. It"s a pain in the neck, but it doesn"t hurt and I don"t have to have them frozen off.

Comment from: Marilyn2014, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had the raised bumps of actinic keratosis on my scalp for 6 years. Two dermatologists only gave me prescriptions for steroid creams or liquid. These are only ameliorative. I have never been a sun worshipper.

Comment from: molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I literally have hundreds of these actinic keratosis lesions on my legs feet, arms, chest and ears. I see my dermatologist every 3 to 4 months to have the largest ones frozen. My body is full of scars, however, at this point I just want to avoid basal and squamous cell lesions which I have had in the past. I look at this as a part of poor decision-making as a young sun worshipper and just getting older... now it is too late to avoid the inevitable. I have tried all the creams and thermodynamic light therapy, all to no avail.

Actinic Keratosis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?