Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have actinic keratosis on my hands, and the tops of my feet are covered with a lot. My chest has some, and I have developed a few on my legs. I have been going to a dermatologist for years, having them burned off, cut off and frozen off. I am sensitive to the liquid nitrogen and blister pretty badly. Sometimes it's painful, and it looks terrible. It has left scars. If I had only known (being fair-skinned) not to have spent so much time in the sun!

Comment from: linvan61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have actinic keratosis on my cheeks and will be up for more zapping next month. I just don't understand why mine seem to be getting larger in that area. It's almost as if it's spreading. This particular place has high tendency for blackheads and seems as if there is pus-like stuff underneath when I try to get them out.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female Published: August 21

I have had actinic keratosis for 20 years and more and more are coming out on my skin. I had the ones on my face removed, but there are too many all over my body (even under my arms where there has been hardly any sun exposure) to have them all removed. So I have to live with these ugly "warts" for the rest of my life. My lower back is particularly affected.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have acitinic keratosis. I have discontinued the cream, and my forehead is very slowly recovering. If you're given the option, do not go with the fluorouracil ointment option. I did and have been dealing with a very, very red blotchy forehead. This is actually a chemical burn that I was not aware of. It is very embarrassing to have to walk around looking like this. It hurts and looks terrible.

Published: July 30

I have had actinic keratosis lesions on my face for many, many years. Right now, I see my dermatologist every six months and there are always new ones that appear. She uses liquid nitrogen to remove them and they blister and scab for a week or so and go away nicely. I do have to keep a lookout for them in between visits. I did have a squamous cell lesion a few years ago and that required cutting to remove and a biopsy.

Comment from: FairSkinned, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 54 year old male who has just started to develop a few keratoses on hand and legs. Everyone making comments here seems to go overboard by totally avoiding sun after receiving a keratosis. Actually, I believe we should still sunbathe, but do it more wisely, and avoid burning. Sunlight is still very essential to our health.

Comment from: boomer47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a green-eyed, olive-skinned brunette! I am 62 and grew up on the beaches of Southern California. In college it was the swimming holes of Northern California. I have actinic keratosis on my nose and have it frozen about twice a year. It keeps recurring. When I see someone come to work on a Monday morning with a sunburn.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have multiple actinic keratoses. I used 5-FU, a chemotherapy drug, for those on my nose and face. It comes in topical form for this purpose. It did a wonderful job. It is important to stay out of the sun when under treatment.

Comment from: demovoter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a 67 year old fair skinned woman who has had all 3 types of skin cancer, including melanoma. (Which, fortunately I survived) I surfed and spent days on the beach in the years before the connection between sun exposure and skin cancer was publicized. I burned, peeled, and healed many times in a summer. I have not been in the sun in the past 30 years, but the skin "saves up" the damage and releases it years later. I get keratoses frozen off often and am on a first name basis with my dermatologist.

Actinic Keratosis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?