Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I am a 53-year-old fair-skinned, blue-eyed woman with actinic keratosis that was diagnosed about 15 years ago. My arms and legs are covered with them to the point that I won't wear dresses anymore unless it's with dark hose. I try to wear long sleeves all the time too, which is very difficult during the hot summer months. My dermatologist told me she has never seen such a heavy case on anyone as young as I am. I wish I had this information when I was in my teens and 20s.

Comment from: parrothdrd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am an unusual case of actinic keratosis. I am only 43 years old and female, and I have this condition all over my legs, arms and hands, but none anywhere else! I noticed a few on my hands about 10 years ago but didn't think anything of it. I have always been a lover of the sun and tanning beds, but I am a fair-skinned, blue-eyed person, and I guess this all contributed to this. I have gone to two different dermatologists with only minimal results. The liquid nitrogen worked best for the large ones on my legs, but left shiny pink areas where the blisters were. I hate these nasty things and wished I had been more careful in the sun all those years ago.

Comment from: starrbright69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 39 years old and only went to the beach when I was a child, but I am very light skinned. I was recently diagnosed with actinic keratosis and had it scraped pretty good for testing. I had to get it frozen, and now it is swollen.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I have actinic keratosis all over the left and right side of my face from my ears to the edge of my neck. It bleeds at times. My doctor burns them all the time, and I have had biopsies. They've all been negative. I have used aldara, and after a couple of treatments, it really itches, gets red and stings. It makes it hard to wash my face. I have dealt with all this for years and years. I am 55 and will go to my grave with it.

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had brown spots on my left cheek and below it for years, which I thought were “age spots.” It slowly got bigger and would itch and flake. Turns out, it was actinic keratosis. A dermatologist burned them off. The nitrogen stings a little when it's touched to the skin, but no big deal. It scabbed over then healed. I have no scars. I now have another spot on my upper right side of my nose on the bone. Time to go back to the doc!

Comment from: Sherri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

With my actinic keratosis, I literally have hundreds all over my feet and ankles. They started probably about 10 years ago with just a few, and I kept asking the doctors about them, but they didn't seem concerned. Now they are extremely unsightly, and I am seeing a dermatologist who is burning them off. I'm not certain whether these will scar, but I just had this procedure yesterday, and I can tell you it is not a pretty sight today. I hate these things.

Comment from: Believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

In March I had a malignant melanoma tumor removed from my chest and haven't been the same since. I went to my dermatologist last month because of a red spot in the middle of my chest under my incision scar. She did a biopsy and it was diagnosed as actinic keratosis. I've been putting a prescription cream on twice a week for three weeks and it seems to being getting worse and spreading. It's now red, bumpy and itches day and night. I am going to another dermatologist Monday to see what else I can do. I'm medium complected and spent a lot of time in the sun and tanning booths in winter to prepare for summer vacations up until the day I was diagnosed with melanoma in March at age of 62. I was an unbeliever about skin cancer until now.

Actinic Keratosis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?