Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I have actinic keratosis all over the left and right side of my face from my ears to the edge of my neck. It bleeds at times. My doctor burns them all the time, and I have had biopsies. They've all been negative. I have used aldara, and after a couple of treatments, it really itches, gets red and stings. It makes it hard to wash my face. I have dealt with all this for years and years. I am 55 and will go to my grave with it.

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had brown spots on my left cheek and below it for years, which I thought were “age spots.” It slowly got bigger and would itch and flake. Turns out, it was actinic keratosis. A dermatologist burned them off. The nitrogen stings a little when it's touched to the skin, but no big deal. It scabbed over then healed. I have no scars. I now have another spot on my upper right side of my nose on the bone. Time to go back to the doc!

Comment from: Sherri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

With my actinic keratosis, I literally have hundreds all over my feet and ankles. They started probably about 10 years ago with just a few, and I kept asking the doctors about them, but they didn't seem concerned. Now they are extremely unsightly, and I am seeing a dermatologist who is burning them off. I'm not certain whether these will scar, but I just had this procedure yesterday, and I can tell you it is not a pretty sight today. I hate these things.

Comment from: Believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

In March I had a malignant melanoma tumor removed from my chest and haven't been the same since. I went to my dermatologist last month because of a red spot in the middle of my chest under my incision scar. She did a biopsy and it was diagnosed as actinic keratosis. I've been putting a prescription cream on twice a week for three weeks and it seems to being getting worse and spreading. It's now red, bumpy and itches day and night. I am going to another dermatologist Monday to see what else I can do. I'm medium complected and spent a lot of time in the sun and tanning booths in winter to prepare for summer vacations up until the day I was diagnosed with melanoma in March at age of 62. I was an unbeliever about skin cancer until now.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have actinic keratosis on my hands, and the tops of my feet are covered with a lot. My chest has some, and I have developed a few on my legs. I have been going to a dermatologist for years, having them burned off, cut off and frozen off. I am sensitive to the liquid nitrogen and blister pretty badly. Sometimes it's painful, and it looks terrible. It has left scars. If I had only known (being fair-skinned) not to have spent so much time in the sun!

Comment from: linvan61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have actinic keratosis on my cheeks and will be up for more zapping next month. I just don't understand why mine seem to be getting larger in that area. It's almost as if it's spreading. This particular place has high tendency for blackheads and seems as if there is pus-like stuff underneath when I try to get them out.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female Published: August 21

I have had actinic keratosis for 20 years and more and more are coming out on my skin. I had the ones on my face removed, but there are too many all over my body (even under my arms where there has been hardly any sun exposure) to have them all removed. So I have to live with these ugly "warts" for the rest of my life. My lower back is particularly affected.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have acitinic keratosis. I have discontinued the cream, and my forehead is very slowly recovering. If you're given the option, do not go with the fluorouracil ointment option. I did and have been dealing with a very, very red blotchy forehead. This is actually a chemical burn that I was not aware of. It is very embarrassing to have to walk around looking like this. It hurts and looks terrible.

Actinic Keratosis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?