Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 73-year-old woman. I have had breast cancer twice since 1994. I had a mastectomy and skin grafts. Now I have been diagnosed with actinic keratosis of the lip. I am waiting to have it treated. I have worked in the sun all my life but did not use sunscreen as I should. I feel good, and other than arthritis, I feel well and stay busy. The Lord has blessed me. When I see women with tattoos on their breasts and body piercings, I think, "Honey, if you had been through what I have been through, that would be enough!"

Comment from: jc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am in my 3rd week of topical treatment. Wow, is my face looking ugly! I put a "Hello Kitty" Band-Aid on the worst spot so I can work as a veterinary technician without scaring people! The cream cost over $200 with insurance, but my doctor told me it is more effective. It does hurt and itch and looks terrible, but I wanted to make sure the spots were gone for good!

Comment from: Kim R, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a red spot, less than 1/4" in diameter, on my cheek for over a year. The doctor thought it wasn't much, but because it hurt when touched, suggested removing it for biopsy. I got a shot to numb the area, then he removed it with a flexible razor blade-like instrument. Biopsy came back as actinic keratosis so I am glad it's gone.

Comment from: mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 34 and I have this on my cheeks bones. I was always in the sun when I was little and even as a teenager, but I didn't start getting the spots until last year and I hope and pray they stop growing, people tell me oh your glasses cover most of the spots, but I know there still they are not. I know that beauty is not everything, but I still find myself trying to cover them up, I want to really express like many on here have to use sunscreen. Sure even at 34 I would love to just run out on the beach with out hassling to put on sun screen, but its so worth doing that, I am even going to start wearing a sun visor, just take good care of yourselves.

Comment from: Golden Girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 67 year old fair skinned female that spent many years at the beach, fishing, crabbing, sailing etc. I had a significant squamous cell carcinoma removed from my forehead 6 years ago. I have at least 100 Keratosis' all over my body even in places that were not exposed to the sun. I now have a spot on my nose that I am wary about and will be going to a dermatologist ASAP. I feel like an old ship that has grown barnacles all over her hull. I tell all young ladies, to cover up or use the tanning in the bottle.

Comment from: Fairly Stupid!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm older now (a 58-year-old male) and much, much wiser. I have loved the sun and the outdoors all my life. I have always felt good in the sun. I have always felt good with a tanned face and body. I worked outside off and on for 30 years. I sunbathed at every opportunity, sometimes being caught with very red burns, and being fair-skinned, this was often. Now I have actinic keratosis, and I regret all of the above. Now the least bit of sun causes discomfort to my face. I wish you could put my message somewhere where everyone could read it, especially those like I once was who believe all is well in the sun!

Comment from: ItsTessie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a 53 year old female who has had both actinic keratosis and basal cell carcinoma since my early 40's. I am blue eyed and very fair skinned and grew up in S. Cal and took a lot of sun as a child, teen and young adult. I still love the sun and have a pool. I try to be smarter about my exposure. I just got three biopsies done on my face today and several lesions frozen on my hands and face. I now preach the use of sunscreen and hats to everyone. I have small scars where the lesions have been treated both with freezing and surgery. Aldara cream seems to leave the least scaring, but all the scars are very small and only really show if I get some tan (which I try not to do) and then they show up more as a white spot than an actual scar, and the "scars" are not as ugly as the scaly, red patches of actinic keratosis. WEAR SUNSCREEN AND HATS WHENEVER YOU GO OUT IN THE SUN AND TEACH YOUR KIDS THE SAME THING.

Actinic Keratosis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?
Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body Question: If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?
Actinic Keratosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe your experience with actinic keratosis. How was it diagnosed?