Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Treatments

At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts?

Comment from: vbol, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had acne when I was in 10th grade and I have been using several antibiotic and alcohol based drugs and some peroxide thing. Unfortunately it didn't work, after that I started using soaps and cleansers for oily skin which is oil free, but I'm having a hard time because my face is sometimes itchy and I can't help but touch my face and the pimples that last long. I wish I could stop touching my face.

Comment from: ola, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

In fact I'm tired of these pimples, I have been getting them since I was 15, but now I'm 23 and still have them. I've tried so many soaps, creams and medicines, they work when I start using them, but then I just discover that they will not work again. As of now I still have them.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was finally cleared up in middle age when prescribed Retin A and an erythromycin cream. For the occasional cystic pimple, I was given a clindamycin dabber. Those cystic pimples were the bane of my teenage years! Clindamycin is like a miracle drug! I treated a budding blemish several times a day and it would go away before blooming! Awesome! For back zits, I started using a back brush in the shower. My back cleared up and back pimples were rare thereafter. I still use the back brush at least once per week, even at age 63. Hope this helps you.

Comment from: william, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 16 and have suffered from acne since I was 13, but to me it feels like a century since it all began. Being in a mixed (boys and girls) school, I am much happier when it's vacation, because that way the girls won't see my face with black spots and inflammations on the cheekbones, right under my eyes. School reopens tomorrow, but I would like to see a dermatologist once more before I start school.

Comment from: Stranger, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Try panoxyl it works. Try the 5% :) it works

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

For acne, try a topical application of just a little honey. I am surprised that it has not been mentioned here. Honey is antiseptic; it deprives the pimple of oxygen; and it brings it to a head overnight. It also is invisible to other people so it is not unsightly. Try it; just a bit on the infected site. It needn't be a thick application.

Comment from: poul, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

I found Clear Skin MAX is very beneficial.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had extreme acne from the age of 13 until around the time I turned 20. If I woke up with five fresh white heads in the morning it was a good day. I went to three different dermatologists and tried all the creams and washes. One doctor even froze some of my zits with some liquid I assume was nitrogen. One over the counter product that actually did help some was PROACTIVE. Yes, it is expensive but does work. The other product I used was prescribed to me when I was 19 and is the reason I am acne free today. Accutane is a controversial acne medication that can cause severe depression, anxiety, rage, and suicidal thoughts, but it is also the single most effective acne treatment out there. After six months on Accutane you are told to stop taking the drug and will never have more than the occasional pimple ever again. I am living proof at the age of 26 that it works, or at least has for the past 6 years. Hope that I helped someone out there who is suffering because I know firsthand how bad it is.

Acne (Pimples) - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your acne (pimples) last?
Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with acne (pimples).
Acne (Pimples) - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your acne breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Similar Skin Conditions Question: Have you ever had a skin condition that mimicked acne? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Acne (Pimples) - Home Remedies Question: Please share some home remedies to treat acne. How do you treat or cover up a pimple before a special occasion?
Acne (Pimples) - Controlling Your Acne Question: What treatments or products have you used to control your acne (pimples)?
Acne - Skin Care Routine Question: Please describe your skin care routine to control breakouts.
Acne - Doctor Recommendations Question: What medications has your doctor prescribed for your acne? Would you recommend them to a friend?