Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Treatments

At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts?

Comment from: Ella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had started getting pimples at the age of 21 and I have tried everything to cure it. I am really tired of getting these pimples on my face. I don't know how to deal with these acne and acne scars! Recently I got to know that Solvaderm skin care brand has innovative skin care treatment and have scientifically tested products. Now, I am frustrated of trying home remedies! So, I am thinking of buying a few of the products from Solvaderm.

Comment from: warpedw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had acne of one form or another on my face, back and/or the back of my upper arms since I was 14. I used Proactiv for some time in my 30s and 40s, successfully. Then, when put on antidepressants, my skin began to break out, mostly along my upper back and jawbone. I eventually stopped using Proactiv and have moderate to slight problems even today.

Comment from: vbol, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had acne when I was in 10th grade and I have been using several antibiotic and alcohol based drugs and some peroxide thing. Unfortunately it didn't work, after that I started using soaps and cleansers for oily skin which is oil free, but I'm having a hard time because my face is sometimes itchy and I can't help but touch my face and the pimples that last long. I wish I could stop touching my face.

Comment from: ola, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

In fact I'm tired of these pimples, I have been getting them since I was 15, but now I'm 23 and still have them. I've tried so many soaps, creams and medicines, they work when I start using them, but then I just discover that they will not work again. As of now I still have them.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was finally cleared up in middle age when prescribed Retin A and an erythromycin cream. For the occasional cystic pimple, I was given a clindamycin dabber. Those cystic pimples were the bane of my teenage years! Clindamycin is like a miracle drug! I treated a budding blemish several times a day and it would go away before blooming! Awesome! For back zits, I started using a back brush in the shower. My back cleared up and back pimples were rare thereafter. I still use the back brush at least once per week, even at age 63. Hope this helps you.

Comment from: dolce da sheep, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have this acne which leaves me with scars. I am sick and tired of this situation, it is really annoying me. I don't know what to do anymore, I used all this oil free bar soaps and they are not helping. I am left with no hope.

Comment from: l frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I believe the liquid topical solutions work better on pimples than the gels. I think maybe the gels trap heat and keeps the skin from cooling.

Comment from: l frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Acne bacteria grows faster in summer. Heat activates the growth of acne. Never apply heat to the skin. Cold temperatures retard the growth. Apply an ice pack to the skin for two or three minutes once a day. When bacteria is exposed to cold temperatures, it stops growing and reproduces into spores. A spore is a bacteria in hibernation. The acne that you see on your skin today was growing under the skin 3 or 4 weeks prior to your seeing it. Therefore you will see the results of the ice treatment in approximately three to four weeks. Try to avoid heat from ovens and electronics. Drinking large amounts of cola and soda causes the skin to sweat. The added moisture will aid in the growth of bacteria and acne. The body is like a loaf of bread, if the bread is warm and moist, it will mold and bacteria will grow on it. We put food in the fridge to keep it cool so mold and bacteria will not grow on the food. Limit the cola to 12 oz. and do not drink more than 2 or 3 colas a day.

Acne (Pimples) - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your acne (pimples) last?
Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with acne (pimples).
Acne (Pimples) - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your acne breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Similar Skin Conditions Question: Have you ever had a skin condition that mimicked acne? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Acne (Pimples) - Home Remedies Question: Please share some home remedies to treat acne. How do you treat or cover up a pimple before a special occasion?
Acne (Pimples) - Controlling Your Acne Question: What treatments or products have you used to control your acne (pimples)?
Acne - Skin Care Routine Question: Please describe your skin care routine to control breakouts.
Acne - Doctor Recommendations Question: What medications has your doctor prescribed for your acne? Would you recommend them to a friend?