Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Treatments

At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts?

Comment from: william, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 16 and have suffered from acne since I was 13, but to me it feels like a century since it all began. Being in a mixed (boys and girls) school, I am much happier when it's vacation, because that way the girls won't see my face with black spots and inflammations on the cheekbones, right under my eyes. School reopens tomorrow, but I would like to see a dermatologist once more before I start school.

Comment from: Stranger, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Try panoxyl it works. Try the 5% :) it works

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

For acne, try a topical application of just a little honey. I am surprised that it has not been mentioned here. Honey is antiseptic; it deprives the pimple of oxygen; and it brings it to a head overnight. It also is invisible to other people so it is not unsightly. Try it; just a bit on the infected site. It needn't be a thick application.

Comment from: poul, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

I found Clear Skin MAX is very beneficial.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had extreme acne from the age of 13 until around the time I turned 20. If I woke up with five fresh white heads in the morning it was a good day. I went to three different dermatologists and tried all the creams and washes. One doctor even froze some of my zits with some liquid I assume was nitrogen. One over the counter product that actually did help some was PROACTIVE. Yes, it is expensive but does work. The other product I used was prescribed to me when I was 19 and is the reason I am acne free today. Accutane is a controversial acne medication that can cause severe depression, anxiety, rage, and suicidal thoughts, but it is also the single most effective acne treatment out there. After six months on Accutane you are told to stop taking the drug and will never have more than the occasional pimple ever again. I am living proof at the age of 26 that it works, or at least has for the past 6 years. Hope that I helped someone out there who is suffering because I know firsthand how bad it is.

Comment from: Deb, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My son has had acne since age 15; he is now 21. He has tried every facial wash and cream, including Retin A. The acne is all over his back, and he wears black T-shirts so the blood is not visible. He has gone from a happy, sociable teenager to a house-bound 21-year-old who is not happy. No other family members have had even one pimple. He will have his hormones tested soon. We're getting low on ideas and sad in our lives.

Comment from: viola, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

My face looks scary because it is filled with acne spots. I have tried all kinds of creams, but there is no improvement. I only stay indoors. I fear looking at people.

Published: March 23

I have suffered from acne since my early teens. I have found that Elemis Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial Wash has helped me. I am still not acne free, but I think it has made a difference.

Acne (Pimples) - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your acne (pimples) last?
Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with acne (pimples).
Acne (Pimples) - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your acne breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Similar Skin Conditions Question: Have you ever had a skin condition that mimicked acne? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Acne (Pimples) - Home Remedies Question: Please share some home remedies to treat acne. How do you treat or cover up a pimple before a special occasion?
Acne (Pimples) - Controlling Your Acne Question: What treatments or products have you used to control your acne (pimples)?
Acne - Skin Care Routine Question: Please describe your skin care routine to control breakouts.
Acne - Doctor Recommendations Question: What medications has your doctor prescribed for your acne? Would you recommend them to a friend?