Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the
base of hair follicles. This inflammation, depending on its location, can take the form
of a superficial pustule (contains pus), a pimple, a deeper cyst, congested pores, whiteheads, or blackheads. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the acne.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...learn more »
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...learn more »
Folliculitis is a skin condition that causes small red bumps to form around the hair follicles. Skin bacteria such as...learn more »
A keloid is a scar that doesn't know when to stop. When the cells keep on reproducing, the result is an overgrown (hypertrophic)...learn more »
In This Article
- What is a keloid?
- What is the difference between a keloid and a hypertrophic scar?
- What is the cause of keloids?
- Which people are most susceptible to keloids?
- In which area of the body are keloids most likely to appear?
- Keloids and piercing
- What are keloid symptoms and signs?
- Is keloid prevention possible?
- Is keloid removal necessary?
- What are the treatments for keloids?
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...learn more »
In This Article
Keratosis Pilaris Article
- Keratosis pilaris (KP) facts
- What is keratosis pilaris?
- Who gets keratosis pilaris?
- Does keratosis pilaris affect the entire body?
- What causes keratosis pilaris?
- What are the signs and symptoms of keratosis pilaris?
- What types of doctors treat keratosis pilaris?
- How do doctors diagnose keratosis pilaris?
- Does diet have anything to do with keratosis pilaris?
- Is keratosis pilaris curable?
- Is keratosis pilaris contagious?
- What conditions mimic keratosis pilaris?
- Are there home remedies for keratosis pilaris?
- What is the treatment for keratosis pilaris?
- What are possible complications of keratosis pilaris?
- What is the prognosis of patients with keratosis pilaris?