Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your acne (pimples) last?

Comment from: Presco, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

It's just agonizing that at 24 years I am still heavily pimpled. Acne started when I was 13 and I received my first treatment at 21 years. I was given doxycycline pills and a peroxide topical and the pimples dried off, it worked. A month later the pimples reappeared and I went to another physician who prescribed me with a topical cream which never worked on me. I was very worried to an extent that I used calamine lotion which resulted in the growth of very big and many pimples on my face. I temporarily gave up my battle against pimples and spent hours locked in my room and avoided social meetings, all because of the pimples. Later on this year after feeling the heat of this loneliness I visited the doctor again and he prescribed me a stronger drug and I was delighted only to find out that the drug was not even accessible in almost every pharmacy in this country and this is a heart breaker. The prescription is in my hands and I only go out at night because am shy of the pimples.

Comment from: B Freed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Unfortunately there is no magical cure-all for acne. I have discovered after years of trial and error with my temperamental adult-onset acne, that the prescription topical gels and creams tend to be too harsh, exacerbating the condition with more inflammation. For me the best strategy has been to use gentle products and to exfoliate regularly. I like the skin care line "Simple". I use the gentle facial scrub daily and find that the little granules do a nice job of removing the top layer of dead skin cells, which I feel are the culprit in the clogging pores and the formation of those unsightly spots, which in my case, leave dark pink spots for months to follow. For post-acne pigmentation, I find glycolic acid pads and/or regular use of alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs) to be most effective; it still takes diligence and patience, but AHAs seem to keep skin more clear and uniform in general. Some of us will just never be blessed with porcelain skin but we must work with what we have!

Comment from: Christina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have suffered with acne since I was eight years old, around the time of puberty for me. As a 24-year-old, I still battle pimples that just will not go away. I am currently taking an antibiotic and a topical gel for my acne twice dailyfor both. This seems to help, but not eliminate the acne. Some of my pimples will last three to five days, but the redness can last up to six months at a time. I have found that using the over-the-counter cleansers that help with rosacea also really help my hyperpigmentation that I experience with acne. The pimples go away, but the redness leaves a lasting reminder that you will always have an imperfection. Sometimes, all I can think about when I'm in public is how horrible I look.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Well, I have had acne since 6th grade and I am about to be a 9th grader and it is very irritating at times. Some days it makes me cry, but I always seem to stay strong and still be the pretty girl I am, but I have tried proactive for 4 months and it only made it worse. I tied clear skin which also made it worse. I've tried several other products, but nothing seems to work. I visited the doctor and they gave me a product called tretinoin and I'm confident in this product because it seems to be working. Acne is a terrible thing to live with because I can't express myself how I want to. I always seem to hide behind a shield which gets to me. I HATE IT.!

Comment from: Lindsayboo, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Wow I've had acne since like the 5th grade, I didn't get my period until I was 14 so me and my doctor didn't think it was hormonal. It recently just turned into cystic acne, but it has been worse. I was just put on minocycline and in two months if no results I will start on Accutane. Thank god for insurance because I was put on the Differin Gel in the 6 grade and it would have been $400. I am a sophomore now and I don't feel my acne is embarrassing at all. It doesn't stop me from dating or making friends. I'm just doing it for my mom because she feels its bothering me, but it is not so. If you still have acne. I suggest not to worry at all it won't stop you from achieving things.

Comment from: Aira, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had acne since I was 12.Now I am 16 and it has ruined my life.I just hate it.I dont know what to do.I have used so many soaps,creams and medicines but it seems to show no effect.Now a days I use Neutrogena with 2% salicylic acid and Sudo cream.I started it a week ago.It seems to show some improvement but not completely washed acne away.I hope it works like this or I think I have to quit it.

Comment from: dodo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had acne since I was 10 years old. Now I'm 20, and I don't know what to do. I used medication and it disappeared, but it came back about 6 months after stopping the medicine.

Acne (Pimples) - Treatments Question: At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with acne (pimples).
Acne (Pimples) - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your acne breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Similar Skin Conditions Question: Have you ever had a skin condition that mimicked acne? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Acne (Pimples) - Home Remedies Question: Please share some home remedies to treat acne. How do you treat or cover up a pimple before a special occasion?
Acne (Pimples) - Controlling Your Acne Question: What treatments or products have you used to control your acne (pimples)?
Acne - Skin Care Routine Question: Please describe your skin care routine to control breakouts.
Acne - Doctor Recommendations Question: What medications has your doctor prescribed for your acne? Would you recommend them to a friend?