Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your acne (pimples) last?

Comment from: mary, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I think that a hormone imbalance should not be so quickly written off for women. I am 23 and was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). My only major symptom was acne. Finally, after years of searching websites, my sister and esthetician convinced me to do blood work. The knowledge of my hormone imbalance started me on a very fast acne recovery ... with the right medication it cleared completely within weeks. I thought I should mention that another symptom of PCOS is hair growth, and I never showed significant signs of this. Just wanted to let women know if this is your case, get your hormones checked!

Comment from: Jenna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I've had acne since I was 12, and I'm now 27 and a mother. It's a nightmare. In fact, the acne is worse now than it was when I was a teenager. I've tried all the over-the-counter treatments known to man, oral contraceptives, and antibiotics. I'm currently looking for a way to get Accutane prescribed for me.

Comment from: kbrown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 47-year-old woman that has had minor but visible acne for more than 10 years. I have tried tree tea oil, doxcycline, and a multitude of face cleansers. The problem with all of them is that they help for a while and then lose their effectiveness. Recently I started drinking a nutritional beverage with acai in it, and that surprisingly has made my skin better augmented with a combination of a salicylic face wash and targeted application of Clearasil.

Comment from: James, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had acne since I was 13 years old. I have tried a lot of treatments including benzyl peroxide combined with antibiotics. It didn't work. I even tried oral antibiotics. Those worked and cleared my skin after a few days, but it didn't keep it clear. Plus, I can't take antibiotics all the time. Salicylic acid didn't make much of a difference. I even tried herbal stuff such as aloe vera, and nothing worked. I did use astringent, but it only made my skin red. Then I noticed that when I am using a special soap, it makes all the difference. I am using an orange papaya soap, and now I am acne-free. But I don't think it would work for everybody. I guess it depends on your skin. Find out which soap will work for you because my soap doesn't work for my cousin. He uses sulfur soap, which works for him.

Comment from: Mpemvu, Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm an 18-year-old boy who has had acne problems for about seven years. I have tried many products that contain benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid, but they didn't make any difference. I don't know what to do anymore, and this is very embarrassing.

Comment from: cant get rid of this, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I've had cystic acne since I was 13, my first one erupted on my private area closer to my leg. Doctors drained it, and told me that I was going to have this all my life. I'm 31 years old, and to this day I still get them. I have two that are on my face, one in my arm pit, and so much scar tissue, that will probably produce more. I was on Accutane when I was 16, but it messed with my mind, I had to get taken off. I've tried so many things, that I gave up. I just use alcohol and a needle to try to drain the puss and the core out. It's my curse that I have to live with all my life. It's hard to live all of your life in pain. But my concern is could you get a staff infection while you have something like this?

Comment from: ginalee125, 19-24 Female Published: June 02

My 24 year old daughter has had acne since she was 14 and received regular treatment since then up until recently. She underwent 2 rounds of Accutane, saw the dermatologist bimonthly, took antibiotics for about 1 year, uses all the required face washes regularly, has Tazorac and had her hormone levels tested and still suffers regular breakouts. Does anyone have any further treatment recommendations? We are now at a loss.

Comment from: Melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had acne since I was 12. I am 29 now. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish it would just wash away. Acne ruined my whole childhood. Plus, I was picked at by my peers. Now I can deal with it emotionally a little better. But the acne is still there. I've tried everything: Pro-active, Retin A. You name it, I've tried it. Some sort of helped, but it always returns. At least I know I'm not alone.

Comment from: becky, 25-34 Female Published: March 10

I have had severe acne since I was 12, and now I am 26. I am still suffering until this day, and it is more frustrating than anything I have been able to overcome in my life. Believe me when I say I have tried so many products, and nothing has worked to keep it away. It really makes a person get to the point of giving up, but I still have hope that someday I will find a cure.

Acne (Pimples) - Treatments Question: At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with acne (pimples).
Acne (Pimples) - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your acne breakouts?
Acne (Pimples) - Similar Skin Conditions Question: Have you ever had a skin condition that mimicked acne? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Acne (Pimples) - Home Remedies Question: Please share some home remedies to treat acne. How do you treat or cover up a pimple before a special occasion?
Acne (Pimples) - Controlling Your Acne Question: What treatments or products have you used to control your acne (pimples)?
Acne - Skin Care Routine Question: Please describe your skin care routine to control breakouts.
Acne - Doctor Recommendations Question: What medications has your doctor prescribed for your acne? Would you recommend them to a friend?