- What is Soriatane (acitretin)?
- Is Soriatane (acitretin) available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- What are the uses for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- What is the black box warning for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- What are the side effects of Soriatane (acitretin)?
- What is the dosage for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with Soriatane (acitretin)?
- Is Soriatane (acitretin) safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about Soriatane (acitretin)?
What is Soriatane (acitretin)?
Acitretin is an oral medication used to treat psoriasis.
Is Soriatane (acitretin) available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for Soriatane (acitretin)?
What are the uses for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- Acitretin is used for treating severe psoriasis in adults.
- Acitretin should be prescribed only by doctors who have experience in the systemic use of retinoids because it has serious side effects.
What is the black box warning for Soriatane (acitretin)?
- Acitretin is harmful to the fetus. It must not be used while pregnant, or by women who intend to be pregnant during therapy or within 3 years following discontinuation of therapy. It should also not be used by women who do not use reliable contraception. Patients must use 2 effective forms of contraception (birth control) simultaneously for at least 1 month prior to starting acitretin therapy, during therapy, and for at least 3 years after stopping treatment.
- Alcohol increases conversion of acitretin to etretinate (Tegison), which remains in the body much longer and is also harmful to the fetus. Therefore, women should not consume alcohol during treatment with acitretin and for 2 months after stopping therapy.
- Acitretin may cause liver damage. Acitretin should be discontinued if liver damage is suspected during treatment.
What are the side effects of Soriatane (acitretin)?
Common side effects of Soriatane include:
- Inflammation of the lips (cheilitis)
- Hair loss
- Increased triglyceride levels
- Skin peeling
- Dry skin (25%-50%)
- Cold symptoms
- Joint pain
- Dry mouth
Other side effects of Soriatane include:
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
- Changes in phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and magnesium levels
- Increased sun sensitivity
Other less common side effects of Soriatane include:
- Water retention
- Increased appetite
- Possible serious side effects include:
- Birth defects (Please see the pregnancy and breastfeeding safety section.)
- Liver toxicity
- Dry eyes (xerophthalmia)
- Pseudotumor cerebri (increased pressure of the fluid in the brain)
- Skeletal abnormalities
Since acitretin can cause liver damage, liver function tests should be performed before treatment at 1- to 2-week intervals until stable, and thereafter at intervals as clinically needed
Quick GuidePsoriasis Types, Images, Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.