Patient Comments: Achilles Tendon Rupture - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Achilles tendon rupture?

Comment from: Mark UK, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was playing football with work friends, we started playing this year about 4 weeks prior and for the last 2 weeks before the rupture of my Achilles tendon, it was really sore! I should have known to stop but I played because we were a man down, and well to cut a long story short, I turned to go after the ball, used my right leg to launch and snap! It was like someone had kicked me in the back of the leg, and the noise was like a gun going off. I"ve been in a cast for 2 weeks and now I"m in an adjustable boot, it"s really frustrating and every time I go to the hospital they remind me this is a 12 week process and then the physiotherapy starts! I just want to walk again. Oh well, I guess you live and learn. If I had any advice at this stage it would be to get one of those waterproof bags for the cast they put you in for 2 weeks, falling over whilst trying to have a shower standing with your leg out like a ballerina isn"t fun! Good luck everyone, I know if you are reading this you have done yours in too because no one thinks about this before they do it right?

Comment from: 4everfit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I"m a 44 year old mother of two. I have been active all my life. This day I was playing basketball with the big boys as usual, then I felt like someone had kicked me in the back of the leg but there wasn"t anyone behind me. I quit the game, sat down and it was so much pain I cried. I thought it was a sprain ankle but it wasn"t, it was Achilles tendon rupture. It has been a week and I cannot wait to recover.

Comment from: Benji, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

While performing my regular routine at the gym, I extended my left leg rearward during a kick exercise. I suddenly heard a loud crack and immediately felt an acute pain in the left calf. After a few minutes, and applying ice, the pain subsided and I could limp from there to the airport to catch my plane home where I could be treated (surgery) for the Achilles tendon rupture.

Comment from: anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am very active and healthy. I have always participated in sports all my life. This particular day I had the Achilles tendon rupture I was playing basketball and just took off to run towards the ball and heard a sudden pop. I stopped to look around and see if anyone else had heard it but they were continuing to play. I thought it was my shoe so I lifted my leg to look down and suddenly my leg began to feel numb so I sat down. There was no excruciating pain but I figured I had better not try and walk. The sound from the pop sounded as if it came from within and no one else had heard it, in fact, the person guarding me was still trying to play defense.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I heard a loud pop sound (no one else heard it though) and felt like someone had hit my heel with a hockey stick when my Achilles tendon ruptured. I fell down and when I touched the area my finger went in as if there was nothing there!

Comment from: RAVINDRA MG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

While I was walking as usual in the morning I heard a pop sound below my leg. I thought I had stepped on some plastic pipe/sheet. I lifted my shoe and saw nothing. Sudden numbness started at my toes and stretching pain in my calf muscles. I sat for some time and went home on my vehicle. I got operated.

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Recovery Question: Please describe your recovery after receiving treatment for a ruptured Achilles tendon.