Patient Comments: Achilles Tendon Rupture - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Achilles tendon rupture?

Comment from: Johno, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

Reading through the other comments on here and although we all know it is a nasty injury, I ruptured my Achilles tendon playing walking football. I am just over 4 weeks in and have a boot for company and my next appointment is around 7 weeks. I am not in any pain, there is no bruising or swelling and I can get around ok. My disadvantages are no driving and a recent trip to Disneyland Paris saw me in a wheelchair so I could keep up. I still have a dent in my Achilles area but feel it is healing.

Comment from: marathon man, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a freak accident while working out, tripped and ruptured the Achilles tendon. I never experienced any pain, except for a 'pull feeling' on my right calf. I got up and tried to walk but it felt like my foot went to sleep, numb. I went to the doctor and they performed a Thompson test and x-rays and knew right away what happened. I had an ultra sound to make sure there wasn't a blood clot. The orthopedic surgeon gave me two options, surgery or the conservative method, no surgery. I picked the conservative method, and they put my leg in a cast, toes pointing down, for 2 weeks. Then they changed the position to a more neutral position, and cast the foot/leg for another 2 weeks, then they changed the cast again and positioned the foot/leg to a neutral position, added a walking shoe for another 4 weeks. I have been out of the cast for 3 weeks and going through therapy. My foot and leg feel great, a little weak, but no pain and I'm walking around. Another 4 weeks of therapy, till end of May 2017, and I should be ok and on the golf course. No more running.

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I was at a 50th birthday party dancing when I turned to plant my foot and kind of jumped. In the middle of the jump it felt like somebody kicked me in the back of the leg. I turned around and saw nobody there. I was in extreme pain and limped off of the dance floor. I told my wife that I thought that I had blown my Achilles tendon. We went to the emergency room and sure enough, the doctor said it was a full rupture. I was scheduled for surgery a couple of days later. It was about 4 months before I was boot and crutch free. I am just a few weeks short of a year from the injury now. My ankle is still stiff when I wake up in the morning. However, I participate in most activities normally. I am very cautious about jumping or planting suddenly on my left foot (injury side). I suspect that I may feel this way for a while. It was a long haul and you have to be very patient. Good Luck.

Comment from: JOHN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 71 and was playing walking football. Gently swinging my left leg to pass the ball there was a loud crack and an excruciating pain in the leg. I had an ultrasound and diagnosed with a torn Achilles tendon. I have to wear a surgical boot for 6 weeks before returning to the hospital. Now it is four weeks in and still a bit swollen. Best of luck with your recovery.

Comment from: For ever young, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I'm 56 and was saying goodbye to guests. As they took off I turned and chased (ran) after them. About the 3rd step I heard this loud cracking sound and instantly there was pain in the ankle area and back calf muscle. I limped inside and after sitting for 10 minutes could no longer walk. I had no strength in my toes and no power in the ankles after the Achilles tendon rupture. There was swelling and bruising around the ankle and calf area the next day.

Comment from: Dolh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My problem is my taking Levaquin and this is one of the side effects, it affects your Achilles tendon. I had extreme pain and stretched 3 times a day as my foot doctor prescribed. I went to an orthopedic doctor for PRP (platelet-rich plasma) a stem cell procedure that is very painful. But, it didn't seem to work. The orthopedic doctor wanted to do surgery but, I declined. I opted for another PRP. Also, I have been having knee problems and not having pain in the knee but, the back of the knees. I think this stems from my Achilles. I am going for a second opinion before having knee surgery.

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Recovery Question: Please describe your recovery after receiving treatment for a ruptured Achilles tendon.