Patient Comments: Achalasia - Causes

What was the cause of your achalasia?

Comment from: Achalasia226, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had no idea what was going on with me. It started with me choking on a food I had eaten earlier in the day. I brushed it off. About a year later I started having issues when would awake out of sleep choking every night. Then I started having issues swallowing food and then still choking then it came to be that I would then start regurgitating foods/liquids by this time my doctor had me go to gastroenterologist who had me take the usual testing barium swallow, esophageal myotomy and endoscopy. All tests confirmed the same thing I had Achalasia. I am currently scheduled for surgery in March 2011 and I hope this will be the end of the pain and regurgitation. I have lost weight which is good but not the way it was lost. I am happy to have found this site and see that I am not the only one dealing with this. I am scared but know that I will be in good (God's) hands.

Comment from: Determined, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My achalasia symptoms started when I was 39 years old. I think it was brought on by stress. I lost 28 pounds in five to six weeks and ended up not being able to swallow my own saliva. I went to the hospital. Before being admitted, I had all the tests they normally do to diagnose achalasia. They did Botox and a month later, I had the dilation. It has been seven years and I still have the chest pains occasionally and I treat myself with Betaine – a digestive enzyme derived from beets. I notice problems when the atmospheric pressure changes with the weather. I take my natural supplement three to four times a week for a preventative. It helps my food to digest faster and there are no side effects like prescription medications.

Comment from: KLCollins, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was diagnosed with achalasia about 2 months ago; the doctors were concerned that I was losing weight too fast. I had the scope test and upper gastrointestinal (GI) test, but after having the upper GI, I have stopped the vomiting so much. I wonder if the upper GI could have opened that muscle up to where now I've stopped the vomiting.

Comment from: Joy fr Phils., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed with achalasia when I was 31 years old. I vomited more than 50 times daily and weight loss was significant. When I couldn't even take liquid I decided to undergo surgery (laparoscopic) at age 32. Unfortunately it was a failure after a month; while still in recovery stage nothing changed. I was very disappointed with the result. I suffered another 3 years then I finally decide to undergo balloon dilation. It took 3 consecutive dilations before I got a good result.

Comment from: Leanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 36 year old female. I have for 9 years lived with pain, choking, and vomiting. For years I lived in denial. After 4 years I finally started going to a GI doctor. They did all the tests and told me at the end they didn't know what was wrong with me and to order some medicine from Canada. Recently I started going to different doctors and had the barium test. They diagnosed me with Achalasia. Finally someone can tell me what is wrong with me. I have lived with hiding when I eat, not going out to eat, have extra cups, or bottles in my purse. I have been embarrassed and finally there is a light for me. I actually cried reading others are like me and I am not alone.

Comment from: Joy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with Achalasia in when I was 18 years old. I had a Heller myotomy in 1982 which helped for a while, but I began having issues again in 1993 with chest pains and vomiting for days at a time. A wonderful gastrointestinal doctor found me in the ER at Sarasota Memorial Hospital in Sarasota, FL after I had been vomiting for five days. He saved my life. My stomach was pulled up and attached to the very top of my esophagus. This surgery saved my life. 11 years later I am still doing great. I occasionally have an endoscopy with a dilatation, but after what I went through for so many years, that is a piece of cake!

Comment from: littlespanish13, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with achalasia when I was 19 but the symptoms started to occur when I was 18. Food would get stuck every meal and eventually it became difficult to drink water. I lost about 30lbs and kept blacking out because I was unable to keep any foods or liquids in my system. I also had severe chest pains along with heart burn and had difficulty breathing so I decided to have surgery and everything has been great so far. Occasionally food will get stuck when I'm stressed out or overwhelmed in a loud environment but overall I have been able to maintain a healthy diet since my surgery.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?
Achalasia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your achalasia?