Patient Comments: Achalasia - Causes

What was the cause of your achalasia?

Comment from: janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was about 27 years when I was told I have achalasia. Doctor told me it was from stress and I should leave me husband before it kills me. I have been stretched twice, the 2nd time I ended up in the hospital for 10 days because I could not swallow water. Every meal is painful; I cannot drink with my meals because I will immediately lose all of food. I feel stupid when eating with other people because my eyes start watering and my food will hang the pain is really bad and I have to leave the table and lose me food. I am now 56 years old and it when I lose my food it makes me exhausted. I am glad some people can relate to this problem because I know of no one else but me with this problem.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I believe my achalasia started from not eating for 3 days. When I went to eat after the third day my food got stuck in my esophagus and I couldn't push it down. I'm 48 years old and have had achalasia for 12 years now. Still in a lot of chest pain, regurgitation, migraines, nausea, depression, ear aches, and dry mouth.

Comment from: rwhartmann, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

At age 67 mine started the day of having foot surgery. Sudden onset with few minutes of sharp pain and then continued problems of regurgitation of mostly solid and some semisolid or liquid foods. Never have had pain, but haven't been able to eat for almost two years. Solids stay in esophagus for days, liquids seem to gradually seep into stomach. Try to live on liquids, ice cream which usually stays down with rare regurgitation. Have just started evaluations and treatments. I am curious if others have had surgery or anesthesia related to sudden onset with no previous problems.

Comment from: Achalasia226, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had no idea what was going on with me. It started with me choking on a food I had eaten earlier in the day. I brushed it off. About a year later I started having issues when would awake out of sleep choking every night. Then I started having issues swallowing food and then still choking then it came to be that I would then start regurgitating foods/liquids by this time my doctor had me go to gastroenterologist who had me take the usual testing barium swallow, esophageal myotomy and endoscopy. All tests confirmed the same thing I had Achalasia. I am currently scheduled for surgery in March 2011 and I hope this will be the end of the pain and regurgitation. I have lost weight which is good but not the way it was lost. I am happy to have found this site and see that I am not the only one dealing with this. I am scared but know that I will be in good (God's) hands.

Comment from: Determined, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My achalasia symptoms started when I was 39 years old. I think it was brought on by stress. I lost 28 pounds in five to six weeks and ended up not being able to swallow my own saliva. I went to the hospital. Before being admitted, I had all the tests they normally do to diagnose achalasia. They did Botox and a month later, I had the dilation. It has been seven years and I still have the chest pains occasionally and I treat myself with Betaine – a digestive enzyme derived from beets. I notice problems when the atmospheric pressure changes with the weather. I take my natural supplement three to four times a week for a preventative. It helps my food to digest faster and there are no side effects like prescription medications.

Comment from: Leanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 36 year old female. I have for 9 years lived with pain, choking, and vomiting. For years I lived in denial. After 4 years I finally started going to a GI doctor. They did all the tests and told me at the end they didn't know what was wrong with me and to order some medicine from Canada. Recently I started going to different doctors and had the barium test. They diagnosed me with Achalasia. Finally someone can tell me what is wrong with me. I have lived with hiding when I eat, not going out to eat, have extra cups, or bottles in my purse. I have been embarrassed and finally there is a light for me. I actually cried reading others are like me and I am not alone.

Comment from: Joy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with Achalasia in when I was 18 years old. I had a Heller myotomy in 1982 which helped for a while, but I began having issues again in 1993 with chest pains and vomiting for days at a time. A wonderful gastrointestinal doctor found me in the ER at Sarasota Memorial Hospital in Sarasota, FL after I had been vomiting for five days. He saved my life. My stomach was pulled up and attached to the very top of my esophagus. This surgery saved my life. 11 years later I am still doing great. I occasionally have an endoscopy with a dilatation, but after what I went through for so many years, that is a piece of cake!

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?
Achalasia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your achalasia?