Patient Comments: Achalasia - Causes

What was the cause of your achalasia?

Comment from: terrier, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

The most effective treatment for genital warts and herpes lesions is 'Boil Ease' or 'Boil Relief' depending on the drug store chain. Anesthetic and antiseptic at the same time. Works instantly to relieve pain.

Comment from: eva, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am an 82 year old woman. I was 19 when my first achalasia symptoms appeared. I woke one night with upsurge of acid. My pain was so severe my mother called the doctor, who came to the house at 1 am (yes, doctors made house calls then). I was referred to specialists, who included a psychiatric evaluation under Pentothal! The surgeon made diagnosis after endoscopy and removal of strands of cabbage. I have had numerous dilatations since then, plus Heller myotomy. These days the dilatations include injection of Botox into the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). I know the body eventually rejects this toxin and am still looking for an alternative relaxant. In 2011 I had a severe spasm after eating. Luckily my brother, an anesthesiologist, was visiting. He gave me an intravenous injection of Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) which relieved the spasm in minutes.

Comment from: nana harry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a heart stent put in in April. Two weeks later I was admitted to the hospital after having a severe drug reaction to simvastatin causing a horrible rash. I was taking the Benadryl constantly and after 5 days I was so dehydrated, I went in after falling flat on my face at work. My blood pressure (BP) was so low that I could barely move without falling. While there (next morning) I could not swallow anything including water, felt like a blockage in my throat and chest. Gastroenterologist was called in Saturday and EDG scheduled for Monday. I coughed and spit up all weekend, nothing would go down, got IV medicines and supplements for vomiting, but nothing helped. I had barium swallow on Saturday which indicated possible achalasia, EGD on Monday showed impaction and food was removed. Now in trying to think when this all started, I remember having a knee replacement 10 years ago and the exact same thing happened, couldn't swallow, got IV medications, and eventually improved. Since then I frequently have had bouts where I have had to make myself throw up to get relief. I haven't had the projectile vomiting, but I do need to sleep on elevated pillows at night or I cough profusely. I try not to eat 3-4 hours before bedtime. However I still eat regular food just smaller amounts and several meals rather than one big one. I can't get the test to confirm because of the heart stent and being on Plavix and ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), so I don't know to what extent I have it. I am 71 so I guess I have had this about 10 good years, hopefully I will be able to handle this disease instead of letting it get the best of me. Add to that I have been diagnosed as having autoimmune disease (POTS), and on medications to help control BP which causes syncope (fallen several times). I just wonder if all of this is related as I considered myself pretty healthy till all of this came to a head recently. I never took medicines for anything and never put a lot of value on gastrointestinal symptoms (told I just had GERD) till this event occurred recently and diagnosis was made.

Comment from: dropdeadfredgreen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

It took 6 years for me to be diagnosed with achalasia and I know I was either born this way or developed this disease sometime in my youth. My doctor first prescribed acid reflux pills and lifting the head of my bed 8 inches and then telling me to relax and it was in my head. He tried to put me on anti-depressants, which I did not want to take. So I searched and found a new doctor and finally was diagnosed with achalasia and had my laparoscopic Heller myotomy in 2000. Although this is still not a cure, I can eat without regurgitating my food anymore and I just came across Unjury protein powders and now I can finally get the protein I need without the struggle of choking on meat and cold dairy that makes me gasp in pain.

Comment from: lhuhn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have had the bouts for about 8 years now with food getting stuck, and then finally going down, or until I make myself throw up. I have had 6 children and had 2 dilatations done to my esophagus. The doctor just told me that I will have to deal with this forever because it is due to having kids and I have a hernia and no surgery can be done. Now I am wondering if I have achalasia and there is something that can be done. I am to the stage of choking on soft foods and sometimes a drink if I drink too quickly. When it is stuck I feel like I have to burp but that does not help. I think that is a mind thing because my body is trying to pass the food down to my stomach. It is very painful and I usually walk around and feel like I am going to lose my mind. The choking is to the point that it is hard for me to go out to eat with my family or eating within a group of people at work. I stress over it wondering if it will go down or will I have to run to the bathroom to expel the food. I am hoping to do a little more research and find the best solution for my issues. I did notice that my air intake must be connected in some way because when I did get the dilatation process done I noted that I could breathe better.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?
Achalasia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your achalasia?