Patient Comments: Achalasia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with achalasia.

Comment from: Toma, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with achalasia at an early age. Unable to keep anything solid down for years, it was finally diagnosed. I went to the children's hospital where they performed the balloon in an attempt to stretch my esophagus to correct the problem. This procedure did not work. My parents found doctors who were familiar with this condition and they did surgery to cut the muscle. The surgery did work and I have not have had any problems since. The only thing is I must just chew my food real good and always have something to drink while eating. I did wind up getting GERD but that is a small issue compared to not being able to eat. It has been about 38 years since my surgery and all has been good. The achalasia did not come back and I do not foresee it coming back. I highly recommend anyone to get this surgery if any of the options do not work for them.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had achalasia for the past 20 years, I have had several barium meals, balloon dilations manometry tests and also had a myotomy. I have my second feeding tube back as the myotomy did not work. For the past 3 months I have struggled badly to keep food down and have it constantly sticking as soon as I swallow. I am going back to see my consultant in June to see if there is anything new I can try. It is very upsetting.

Comment from: DrLarry098, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I have just been diagnosed with this awful disorder achalasia. It has been a nightmare experience, not being able to keep anything of a solid nature down and regurgitating solids all the time, especially at dinner time. My extensive surgery esophagomyotomy is scheduled in two weeks. The surgeon told me to expect 2 months for recovery, needless to say, I'm not looking forward to the surgery. I hope it helps, although the surgery will not cure my problem. It will be with me for life.

Comment from: dmurrell61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I have read the experiences posted by others here and they fairly well mirror my own. Diagnosed with achalasia in December 2014, I could barely pass solids or liquids into my stomach (although whiskey went down fairly easily). I was treated at the hospital. The first treatment was a Botox injection into the esophageal sphincter. This resulted in immediate relief. I was able to eat a decent meal that very evening. This was only a temporary measure though, as it only lasted a few months. In December of 2015 I had a balloon dilation procedure which also was effective; this time for several months. After about 9 months though, symptoms began to return. Two weeks ago (April 7, 2017) I had a new procedure performed called POEM or peroral endoscopic myotomy. As I heal I can feel myself swallowing much better and with much greater ease. I am prone to gastric reflux now however, but it is easily controlled with proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole.

Comment from: pleasehelp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am still testing for achalasia. I have done the barium swallow and the manometer test. The results show little movement of the esophagus and no relaxation of the stomach. I started having trouble swallowing in October 2016 and stopped swallowing solid food in mid-January 2017. I currently am down to 100 lb. and feel terrible every day. I am to the point that I throw up around 30 to 40 times a day and have trouble keeping liquids down. I am a middle school teacher and can barely keep up with my job and my own family. I like my doctor but each step is taking so long. I don't know what to eat and no one seems to care enough to tell me.

Comment from: wog24, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

My teenage son was diagnosed with achalasia. He is 100 percent better. After doing three or four tests, his doctor scheduled surgery which was done laparoscopically. He has had no more issues and we were told that the surgery should last for several years and may or may not need to be repeated.

Comment from: bell2013, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I just found out that I have achalasia type 1, on January 13, 2017. I go in January 30, 2017 for the Heller myotomy surgery. I am 29 years old and I have been fighting this since I was 27 years old. I cannot eat or drink anything. I don't ever get a good night's sleep because I am always choking on my spit so I am scared to go to sleep. And having this very rare medical condition that I just found out that I will have for the rest of my life has really put a damper on my life style. I am scared to go out to dinner with my husband because I am always running to the bathroom. Since all of this started I have lost over 150 pounds, and just since July 2016 is when the weight loss really kicked in. I have dropped over 100 pounds just since July 2016. I have been in and out of the hospital because of severe dehydration and not enough nutrition. I am also a high risk for a cardiac arrest because my potassium levels keep dropping because of this achalasia. Will my life ever go back to normal!

Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?
Achalasia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your achalasia?