Patient Comments: Achalasia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your achalasia?

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed with achalasia in 1996 after being told it was all psychological. A Heller myotomy was performed, and I could immediately swallow much better! I still have heartburn, but use bread and water to dilute and soak up the stomach acid. I still have difficulty swallowing, but water or anything carbonated pushes the food down. I also have to burp after each swallow. Embarrassing, but there are bigger problems out there I'm sure. My biggest concern is the choking at night. If I eat too late, the food apparently doesn't go down and it will choke me at night. This is a terrible disease, but I am lucky that I can function somewhat normally. Others are not so lucky. Find a good doctor and surgeon, and don't give up until you are satisfied with your results.

Comment from: OhioCase, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with achalasia 43 years ago at age 17. It started suddenly. One day I was between classes and stopped for a drink of water. I choked because the water would not go down. Not one symptom prior to that moment. Since then I have had multiple dilations. Those plus nifedipine seem to help. Oddly, 12 years ago I started having general muscle pains and achalasia became worse. After 3 years, found I had severe vitamin D deficiency. Once I started taking vitamin D and drinking milk 3 times a day, my muscle pain and achalasia symptoms improved. I stopped the nifedipine and use water to move food. I cleanse at night by drinking a full glass of water at bedtime. Another odd thing, activity makes achalasia worse (gardening) and milk makes it better. Go figure.

Comment from: The Easy Solution, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

This sounds too simple to be true, but it works for my achalasia every time. When your throat is constricting, drink a small sip of soda, it works like Drano. Pepsi, Coke, and 7 Up seem to work best. Hope this helps you too!

Comment from: Jane J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had achalasia for about 10 years and had the balloon dilatation. I have been very fortunate to be able to eat most anything but acidy fruits and I am not losing weight, sorry to say. But I do have the most terrible attacks in my chest from indigestion, so bad I have often had to go to emergency room and drink this pain killing gastrointestinal cocktail. But now I have discovered on my own this trapped gas and pain can be knocked out of the park by 2 Advil! And just trying then to relax and go to sleep. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it sure works for me every time to stop spasms.

Comment from: BaxRex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with achalasia 7 years ago. The day before I was to have a myotomy I threw my back out. In desperation I went to a chiropractor. He adjusted my back and told me my achalasia was probably caused from my upper back or neck tightness, caused by stress, which in turn put pressure on my vagus nerve that runs from brain down to my gastrointestinal tract. He adjusted (cracked) my neck and I had immediate relief in my esophagus. The treatment doesn"t work as well as it used to but still works. Every time he cracks my neck (bi-weekly) my esophagus "gurgles". I still have trouble swallowing but it"s much better. I never did the surgery. Hope it works for you.

Comment from: Induna, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My wife has had achalasia since the seventies. She had numerous dilations. We have found a small sip of Kahlua liquor relaxes the sphincter every time she has a choking session.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?