Patient Comments: Achalasia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your achalasia?

Comment from: Sara C, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been dealing with achalasia for about 5 years. It has been successfully treated with Botox injections and my own food preparations. Most of my diet consists of smoothies. I went a whole year without Botox because of my diet. I use ground flax seeds or chia seeds in my smoothies to add nutrition. I also eat lots of smashed avocados with a little bit of mayonnaise, lime and applesauce. I do many fruit smoothies using a NutriBullet and blender. I buy powdered barley life, red beets and carrots from the AIM Company. I also add greens to smoothies. I also enjoy blended soups which I make with a variety of organic vegetables like asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and broth. Sometimes I saute the vegetables in olive oil and add a splash of milk. I keep trying new things to eat, like Malt-O-Meal for breakfast, puddings, kefer, yogurt, and egg salad. It is somewhat trial and error, but I have found if the food is smooth it goes down fairly well. I drink lots of water and green tea! Good luck to you.

Comment from: abh, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had Heller myotomy when I was 17. The achalasia was attributed to stress of high performing teen; surgery was done by a thoracic surgeon. The condition returned at age 45, and it has been controlled with dilatations and recently Botox, lasting 6 months. Gastrointestinal physician is referring me for consultation for POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy) by a local specialist; unsure of possibility due to having had the Heller myotomy. I fear the progression in the future. At its worst, nothing passes the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed with achalasia in 1996 after being told it was all psychological. A Heller myotomy was performed, and I could immediately swallow much better! I still have heartburn, but use bread and water to dilute and soak up the stomach acid. I still have difficulty swallowing, but water or anything carbonated pushes the food down. I also have to burp after each swallow. Embarrassing, but there are bigger problems out there I'm sure. My biggest concern is the choking at night. If I eat too late, the food apparently doesn't go down and it will choke me at night. This is a terrible disease, but I am lucky that I can function somewhat normally. Others are not so lucky. Find a good doctor and surgeon, and don't give up until you are satisfied with your results.

Comment from: OhioCase, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with achalasia 43 years ago at age 17. It started suddenly. One day I was between classes and stopped for a drink of water. I choked because the water would not go down. Not one symptom prior to that moment. Since then I have had multiple dilations. Those plus nifedipine seem to help. Oddly, 12 years ago I started having general muscle pains and achalasia became worse. After 3 years, found I had severe vitamin D deficiency. Once I started taking vitamin D and drinking milk 3 times a day, my muscle pain and achalasia symptoms improved. I stopped the nifedipine and use water to move food. I cleanse at night by drinking a full glass of water at bedtime. Another odd thing, activity makes achalasia worse (gardening) and milk makes it better. Go figure.

Comment from: The Easy Solution, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

This sounds too simple to be true, but it works for my achalasia every time. When your throat is constricting, drink a small sip of soda, it works like Drano. Pepsi, Coke, and 7 Up seem to work best. Hope this helps you too!

Comment from: Induna, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My wife has had achalasia since the seventies. She had numerous dilations. We have found a small sip of Kahlua liquor relaxes the sphincter every time she has a choking session.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?