Patient Comments: Achalasia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your achalasia?

Comment from: BaxRex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with achalasia 7 years ago. The day before I was to have a myotomy I threw my back out. In desperation I went to a chiropractor. He adjusted my back and told me my achalasia was probably caused from my upper back or neck tightness, caused by stress, which in turn put pressure on my vagus nerve that runs from brain down to my gastrointestinal tract. He adjusted (cracked) my neck and I had immediate relief in my esophagus. The treatment doesn"t work as well as it used to but still works. Every time he cracks my neck (bi-weekly) my esophagus "gurgles". I still have trouble swallowing but it"s much better. I never did the surgery. Hope it works for you.

Comment from: ladycaramel14, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

As of July 25, 2013, I now know that I have achalasia. Surgery was performed to cut a lining between my esophagus and stomach, which unclogged a blockage between them. I am on the road to a slow recovery. I have been able to eat a solid meal since July 28. My weight will be monitored every day. The steroids have a noticeable side effect, which causes me to have an appetite, loss of sleep, and energy out of this world. I have several medicines to take to each day. Steroids and vitamins are to be taken every day. I also have what is known as adrenal insufficiency.

Comment from: Down & Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was diagnosed with achalasia in about 2004. Anyway, I was treated with injections of Botox and balloon stretching, and had the traditional bird's beak. My first surgery was a Heller myotomy laparoscopic procedure. I was OK for a while, other than increased acid reflux. But it came back with a vengeance and was just as bad. I was unable to hold down food, vomited, gagged, and felt embarrassed trying to eat in public. Last year, I had another Heller myotomy and am having more problems with swallowing and vomiting in the night, along with aspirating food into my lungs. I have no clue what else I can do; just learn to live with vomiting? Or just sit up when I sleep? Because I can't help getting sick in the night, even when I don't realize it until I'm choking in the middle of the night. I don't want another surgery and don't really want to continue to keep vomiting and getting food stuck in my throat in the night. The doctors said the only next step was to remove my esophagus (esophageal resection). I don't care to live like this when I already deal with chronic pain in my neck, back, and knees. What else can go wrong with this young, but older body?

Comment from: Kitty, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

My husband has used Isosorb (10 mg) before a meal and has found it to be helpful.

Comment from: sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I suffered for years with difficulty in swallowing, food getting stuck, and terrible chest pain – which I was sure was heart pain. After some time, I started losing weight also. My doctor kept sending me to have my esophagus dilated, which never did work or even help. My doctors finally told me that it was in my head and to see a psychiatrist. I knew it was real when I went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, for a consult. After three days of testing, I had surgery, was in the hospital for a week, and flew back home after a week. It has been almost 33 years, and I do take meds to reduce stomach acid, but overall it has been like night and day and I can eat anything. I still have to sleep with my head elevated so as to reduce acid reflux, but would redo this surgery in a heartbeat if I had to because it was such an overwhelming success. Be sure and start your search for help at a clinic such as Mayo – the best doctors are in these big clinic situations.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?