Patient Comments: Achalasia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your achalasia?

Comment from: OhioCase, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with achalasia 43 years ago at age 17. It started suddenly. One day I was between classes and stopped for a drink of water. I choked because the water would not go down. Not one symptom prior to that moment. Since then I have had multiple dilations. Those plus nifedipine seem to help. Oddly, 12 years ago I started having general muscle pains and achalasia became worse. After 3 years, found I had severe vitamin D deficiency. Once I started taking vitamin D and drinking milk 3 times a day, my muscle pain and achalasia symptoms improved. I stopped the nifedipine and use water to move food. I cleanse at night by drinking a full glass of water at bedtime. Another odd thing, activity makes achalasia worse (gardening) and milk makes it better. Go figure.

Comment from: The Easy Solution, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

This sounds too simple to be true, but it works for my achalasia every time. When your throat is constricting, drink a small sip of soda, it works like Drano. Pepsi, Coke, and 7 Up seem to work best. Hope this helps you too!

Comment from: Jane J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had achalasia for about 10 years and had the balloon dilatation. I have been very fortunate to be able to eat most anything but acidy fruits and I am not losing weight, sorry to say. But I do have the most terrible attacks in my chest from indigestion, so bad I have often had to go to emergency room and drink this pain killing gastrointestinal cocktail. But now I have discovered on my own this trapped gas and pain can be knocked out of the park by 2 Advil! And just trying then to relax and go to sleep. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it sure works for me every time to stop spasms.

Comment from: BaxRex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with achalasia 7 years ago. The day before I was to have a myotomy I threw my back out. In desperation I went to a chiropractor. He adjusted my back and told me my achalasia was probably caused from my upper back or neck tightness, caused by stress, which in turn put pressure on my vagus nerve that runs from brain down to my gastrointestinal tract. He adjusted (cracked) my neck and I had immediate relief in my esophagus. The treatment doesn"t work as well as it used to but still works. Every time he cracks my neck (bi-weekly) my esophagus "gurgles". I still have trouble swallowing but it"s much better. I never did the surgery. Hope it works for you.

Comment from: ladycaramel14, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

As of July 25, 2013, I now know that I have achalasia. Surgery was performed to cut a lining between my esophagus and stomach, which unclogged a blockage between them. I am on the road to a slow recovery. I have been able to eat a solid meal since July 28. My weight will be monitored every day. The steroids have a noticeable side effect, which causes me to have an appetite, loss of sleep, and energy out of this world. I have several medicines to take to each day. Steroids and vitamins are to be taken every day. I also have what is known as adrenal insufficiency.

Comment from: Induna, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My wife has had achalasia since the seventies. She had numerous dilations. We have found a small sip of Kahlua liquor relaxes the sphincter every time she has a choking session.

Comment from: Down & Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was diagnosed with achalasia in about 2004. Anyway, I was treated with injections of Botox and balloon stretching, and had the traditional bird's beak. My first surgery was a Heller myotomy laparoscopic procedure. I was OK for a while, other than increased acid reflux. But it came back with a vengeance and was just as bad. I was unable to hold down food, vomited, gagged, and felt embarrassed trying to eat in public. Last year, I had another Heller myotomy and am having more problems with swallowing and vomiting in the night, along with aspirating food into my lungs. I have no clue what else I can do; just learn to live with vomiting? Or just sit up when I sleep? Because I can't help getting sick in the night, even when I don't realize it until I'm choking in the middle of the night. I don't want another surgery and don't really want to continue to keep vomiting and getting food stuck in my throat in the night. The doctors said the only next step was to remove my esophagus (esophageal resection). I don't care to live like this when I already deal with chronic pain in my neck, back, and knees. What else can go wrong with this young, but older body?

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?