Patient Comments: Achalasia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My first symptom was while eating white rice. I could not get it to go down, and I had terrible pain in the middle of my chest. I went to the restroom and leaned over, and the rice came out and the pain got easier but was still there. It got to the point after about a year that even water would not go down. I lost about 40 pounds. I had some tests done and was told I had achalasia after an upper GI. I then had mobility testing done over 10 times. At that point, I was sent to a surgeon and had the surgery to cut the muscle and make a new opening into the stomach. It has helped me over the years, but I've had to have stretching done about once a year to loosen scar tissue that has formed. Also my stomach does not empty properly and takes longer. Recently, my daughter was diagnosed with achalasia and is waiting to have the same surgery as I did. I did not know that I could pass this onto my children, but I do now!

Comment from: Deanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

For many years I had problems regurgitating food soon after I had eaten. What came up didn't look like vomit but rather just like chewed food. It was odd then I started to have odd abdominal pain occasionally after I ate when I went to the doctor to figure out what was going on they had me do a barium swallow and I was diagnosed with Achalasia when the barium didn't enter my stomach after 5 minutes.

Comment from: Janed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had pain in my back and chest after eating. I had been treated for GERD for many years before going to a different gastroenterologist who ordered a barium swallow which showed achalasia. I found a surgeon who did a myotomy with fund implication. It has been 5 weeks since surgery and am able to eat more and do not have the pain. Best thing I ever did was have this surgery. Make sure you find a good surgeon who will do it laparoscopically.

Comment from: Wilma Henre, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Seven months ago I had the surgery for achalasia. I am doing very good with eating, but still am getting chest pain when I walk very far. I have lots of muscle cramps and joint pain in my arms, hands, and legs. They are so bad sometimes that I can't walk very well. Sometimes my hands are so painful that I wake up at night or can't sleep because of it. I don't know if this is from the achalasia or just muscle spasms. I have to take meds for the pain, but rest is the only thing that helps. Then if I clean house, or walk too much, or even go online to type, I get muscle spasms. I also can't do repetitive movements.

Published: March 27

At first, I felt like it was hard for me to breathe. After a few months, I felt good. Now I feel like I'm always full, even if I haven't eaten. I need to burp 4-5 times before I feel OK. Every day I find it hard to breathe, because my stomach always feels like it has air inside.

Achalasia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with achalasia.
Achalasia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your achalasia?
Achalasia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your achalasia?