Patient Comments: Abscessed Tooth - Complications

Did you suffer any complications from your abscessed tooth?

Comment from: Roberta, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 26

My husband is a 58 year old diabetic who chose to ignore a bad tooth for approximately a year. He hasn't seen a dentist this past year either. The tooth would ache, he'd take some aspirin for pain, and then it would quit being painful, off and on. Fast forward to yesterday when his jaw has visibly swelled. Now his neck is swelling too. I talked to the dentist who said it can shut off breathing if the swelling gets very big. My husband seems very fatigued, but did get our family doctor to call in an antibiotic prescription since the dentist is out for the weekend. It's sad and scary for a wife and kids to have to watch, always worried what will happen before he decides to get help. The worst part is I believe all this could have been prevented! I hope some other family is spared this situation.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I have chronic abscess problem and this flares periodically. I take anti-inflammatories, naproxen, pain relief Codeine Effervescent 500-1000 mg 4 hourly. I rub tea tree oil around the gum of the tooth area of pain. Then get amoxicillin antibiotics and put ice pack to face when pain arises, at the start.

Comment from: Concerned Mom, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 44 year old daughter has gum diseases and in the process of getting teeth pulled. When a wisdom tooth started hurting she thought it was from gum disease and let it go for too long before getting a dentist appointment. By the time she got there it was very swollen and had abscessed so she got antibiotics but this dentist didn"t give out pain pills. A day after starting antibiotics, she already had not slept in 3 days and the pain was so bad that nothing OTC worked and besides she was vomiting up everything. She couldn"t eat, talk or move her head, was dizzy with high fever so she called 911. I want people to know you can"t put off a toothache and if you don"t have insurance, there are low-cost plans that have partial coverage and there are discount plans that help with some of the cost.

Comment from: Prasher, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am suffering from pain and continuous sensitivity to hot and cold in my abscessed tooth. I don"t want to get a root canal done.

Comment from: Julieellis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a canine removed for an implant which resulted in me having an abscess. I now have an indentation in my gum, hope this will eventually fill in with time.

Abscessed Tooth - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience when you had an abscessed tooth?
Abscessed Tooth - Home Remedies Question: Did you try a home remedy for your abscessed tooth?
Abscessed Tooth - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for your abscessed tooth?