Patient Comments: Abscessed Tooth - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you had an abscessed tooth?

A Doctor's View on Abscessed Tooth Symptoms

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Abscessed tooth symptoms include throbbing pain, swelling, fever, decreased appetite, bleeding, and sensitivity to heat and cold. A mass may develop along the gums that can be felt. Bacterial infections due to plaque, gingivitis, previous dental procedure, and tooth decay are common causes of an abscessed tooth. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: SeverelyDepressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had an abscessed tooth and my symptoms were fever, headache, earache, and jaw pain. I had severe swelling of the jaw, and even eye pain. I couldn't talk to anyone because I was in so much pain. I couldn't sleep because the pain was so severe especially at night, I was even in tears because of the pain. On a scale of 1 to 10 my pain rate was way beyond that, I rate the pain I felt a 20. I advise anyone who has an abscessed tooth to get it taken care of immediately. It's not worth going through lots of pain and suffering.

Comment from: Never get an abscess, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I had extreme pain at the actual site of the infection that feels like something is literally eating your jaw from the inside; it is a constant very sharp pain. My abscessed tooth was on the bottom right, 2nd molar from the back (3rd if I had my wisdom teeth). I also felt an intense throbbing pain just below my ear, and that same pain, but less intense just below my jaw in my neck. The swelling was immense, it felt to be about the size of two 2 liter caps side by side. Also, it seemed that the swelling hindered my hearing in the infected side but just slightly.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an abscessed lower molar. First symptoms were dull, throbbing ache in upper jaw above affected tooth. Tooth then pushed up from the pressure and was very sore. Then whole side of my face swelled.

Comment from: pinkowl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

In my case, the abscess happened because of a crown gone bad. At first, it was just mildly painful, only bothering me if I bit down too hard. Overnight, the pain got unbearable. OTC pain medicines wouldn't touch it, the pain medicines from the emergency room didn't do anything. The only thing that got me through until I could get it pulled were high powered painkillers that I had to take every 4 hours like clockwork. I couldn't sleep without them. I would say the pain was a 10 out of 10 without medicines. With medicines it was probably a 3 or 4, just mild enough that I could at least sleep. I had to deal with that for 2 weeks, during which my face swelled up to the point that I couldn't open my mouth more than about an inch. I didn't eat for the whole time because I couldn't and didn't want to. After I got it pulled, the swelling was so bad that I had to have a drain put in the side of my face for a few days to let the blood and stuff drain out. I know it sounds like a little much, but it was so incredibly awful that I literally wanted to die at some points. I've never been in so much pain before in my entire life.

Comment from: blueEyes81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had severe swelling (from my left ear, across my jaw-and under my chin to the right side of my face; including inside my mouth, under the tongue.) I had trouble swallowing (due to pain), trouble speaking due to pain and swelling, fever and trouble sleeping due to pain. As for pain, if I was lucky it was at a 6, at the worst, an 8.5.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I got a heavy gum bleeding, I didn't feel any pain from the abscessed tooth.

Comment from: kissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have a sore and sensitive tooth and throbbing pain; I was up all night and had fever. And it's the first molar.

Abscessed Tooth - Home Remedies Question: Did you try a home remedy for your abscessed tooth?
Abscessed Tooth - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for your abscessed tooth?
Abscessed Tooth - Complications Question: Did you suffer any complications from your abscessed tooth?