Patient Comments: Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

How was your case of abdominal pain diagnosed?

Comment from: keytolife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had pain in my left side. X-rays, ultrasounds, and CT scans didn't reveal anything. Finally, I went to a gastroenterologist, who listened to me and didn't say it was a psychiatric issue. He did a colonoscopy, which came back normal. I was adamant about my pain, so he decided to look into my ileum, where he found cancer. He said this changed the way he does colonoscopies, especially if a patient has other symptoms like pain and fatigue. Since then he has found others who had cancer in ileum.

Comment from: informed patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain started right away after a colonoscopy 6 years ago, when a biopsy and polyp snare was taken. I had increasing abdominal pain with lower left lump sticking out but usually reducible. Many physicians either ignored pain symptoms, if the lump didn"t show up (It hides internally, but much less so now after all the years of pain), or offered exploratory surgery, or nothing. Visits to emergency room proved futile, by the time I got there, and a doctor finally came to see me, either intravenous pain killers or time had reduced symptoms. Yes, very frustrating. Even now after years of trying to find answers it feels more like an obstruction in my bowel, which presses on and affects my urinary tract. The pain is excruciating and difficult for me to tolerate to the point that I have to do something, but need it to be safe, the right choice; and most important, a good surgeon.

Comment from: HoodyCrow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Well I have been x-rayed, imaging (of various sorts), had a snake in both ends, poked, proded, blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy. Biopsy showed lower platelet production, blood tests: EBV, and low platelet count, palpation my spleen is huge and my liver is shrinking (which I thought was a good thing, but apparently not). Numerous Dr.s numerous opinions. No plan other than wait and retest and see (even though my spleen and platelets remain the same for the past year). They can't do biopsy on either my liver or my spleen. They have no idea as to the progression of whatever it is I have going on. Apparently gut issues are difficult to diagnose?

Comment from: denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I've had very sharp lower abdominal pain that sometimes feels like it's in the pelvis, for about 2 months. A GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said everything looked fine, I didn't need any further testing. He also said the pain was GYN. My GYN says it's not. I've also had a CT of the abdomen that showed some dilatation of the distal ileum.

Abdominal Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with abdominal pain.
Abdominal Pain - Cause Question: What was the cause(s) of your case of abdominal pain?
Abdominal Pain - Medications Question: What medications were prescribed for your case of abdominal pain?