Patient Comments: Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

How was your case of abdominal pain diagnosed?

A Doctor's View on Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Read the Comment by Jay W. Marks, MD

Abdominal pain is a common symptom for may people. It can often is difficult for a health-care professional to diagnosis the cause of a person's abdominal pain. Print out this list of questions to ask your doctor about your abdominal pain, and be ready to provde your past medical history to the medical health-care team. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: rosk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few years ago I was given an antibiotic by a fill in doctor... It was called clindamycin, I believe. It was too strong for me and I took full dose until it was done, I think 10 days. At that time I asked the doctor for the Z-Pak but she said it wasn't strong enough. After that my stomach hurt anytime I ate, and swelled. I went to my doctor and the test results he told me was, my muscle didn't work in my stomach. He gave me metoclopramide for burning of stomach to take before meals. It does help but I still swell up pretty bad, and in pain when I eat.

Comment from: keytolife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had pain in my left side. X-rays, ultrasounds, and CT scans didn't reveal anything. Finally, I went to a gastroenterologist, who listened to me and didn't say it was a psychiatric issue. He did a colonoscopy, which came back normal. I was adamant about my pain, so he decided to look into my ileum, where he found cancer. He said this changed the way he does colonoscopies, especially if a patient has other symptoms like pain and fatigue. Since then he has found others who had cancer in ileum.

Comment from: informed patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain started right away after a colonoscopy 6 years ago, when a biopsy and polyp snare was taken. I had increasing abdominal pain with lower left lump sticking out but usually reducible. Many physicians either ignored pain symptoms, if the lump didn"t show up (It hides internally, but much less so now after all the years of pain), or offered exploratory surgery, or nothing. Visits to emergency room proved futile, by the time I got there, and a doctor finally came to see me, either intravenous pain killers or time had reduced symptoms. Yes, very frustrating. Even now after years of trying to find answers it feels more like an obstruction in my bowel, which presses on and affects my urinary tract. The pain is excruciating and difficult for me to tolerate to the point that I have to do something, but need it to be safe, the right choice; and most important, a good surgeon.

Comment from: HoodyCrow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Well I have been x-rayed, imaging (of various sorts), had a snake in both ends, poked, proded, blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy. Biopsy showed lower platelet production, blood tests: EBV, and low platelet count, palpation my spleen is huge and my liver is shrinking (which I thought was a good thing, but apparently not). Numerous Dr.s numerous opinions. No plan other than wait and retest and see (even though my spleen and platelets remain the same for the past year). They can't do biopsy on either my liver or my spleen. They have no idea as to the progression of whatever it is I have going on. Apparently gut issues are difficult to diagnose?

Comment from: BestDadEver, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

Force your doctor to order a sonogram. If they did this for my dad during one of the 4 appointments he had with the doctor, they would have found the gallstones. Instead, he was misdiagnosed with heartburn. He died of sepsis in August 2013 due to a gallstone blocking the pancreatic duct.

Comment from: denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I've had very sharp lower abdominal pain that sometimes feels like it's in the pelvis, for about 2 months. A GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said everything looked fine, I didn't need any further testing. He also said the pain was GYN. My GYN says it's not. I've also had a CT of the abdomen that showed some dilatation of the distal ileum.

Comment from: shamar, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My daughter has been experience constipation since she was a baby. The past 2 months she has experience stomach pain, fatigue and no appetite. I took her to the doctor they told me nothing was wrong and to try changing her diet; try no dairy and more fiber regularly. They treated me like I was an over worried mother. Frustrated.

Abdominal Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with abdominal pain.
Abdominal Pain - Cause Question: What was the cause(s) of your case of abdominal pain?
Abdominal Pain - Medications Question: What medications were prescribed for your case of abdominal pain?
Abdominal Pain - Symptoms Question: What symptoms were associated with your case of abdominal pain?