Patient Comments: Abdominal Pain - Cause

What was the cause(s) of your case of abdominal pain?

Comment from: Mybestdadever, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My Dad had abdominal pain for a year off and on. He went to the doctor's office a couple of times, and acute care once when his abdominal pain was too much to drive. The doctors just gave him antacid medication. After 1-year of enduring this pain, a gallstone blocked the duct to the pancreas. Inflammation of the pancreas, and surrounding area occurred leading to infection to sepsis. By the time he got to ER, his blood pressure was low, he was very fatigued. He was showing early signs of sepsis. He was in the hospital where they gave him IV fluids, which his heart couldn't take. He ended up dying of sepsis.

Comment from: Jonezess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had abdominal pain for over 30 years. It gets worse as I get older and is more frequent. The pain is like spasms and cramping and extreme soreness. It can cause shortness of breath from my upper ab to my chest. I have been to the ER several times because I thought it was a heart problem. I have had CT scans, colonoscopies, endoscopies and GI series. My gastro said I just have a "bad gut" (esophageal and colon spasms, brought on my stress). I recently had an MRI and nothing was found but a sebatious cyst which is harmless and painless. I have very bad fibro in my rib cage and chest and my gastro doctor has determined that my stomach pain is from my Fibromyalgia. When my stomach is sore and cramping I cannot lift anything mildly heavy and it sometimes makes it hard for me to breathe. Fibro is no fun. I tend to believe that it might be the root of my stomach pain but not sure.

Comment from: Mikeel, 35-44 Male Published: October 01

I live in Dubai and have had lower left abdominal pain for the past 3 years. I have done all the tests including, colonoscopy, endoscopy, MRI and CT scan of the abdomen and Barium Enema without any clear diagnosis. The first endoscopy established a duodenal ulcer which was treated but the pain remained. The second colonoscopy and all other tests established nothing wrong until the doctor said I had irritable bowel syndrome. This pain is now persistent and is getting worse as I can feel stabbing pain on my shoulder blade, left leg and lower back. My stomach occasionally makes a lot of noise but there is no tenderness on touching or squeezing any part of it. My back quickly gets tired and painful if I walk or stand or bend for only 30 minutes. I am told the irritable bowel does not get worse but mine is proving not to be one hence I am thinking of starting the test all over again. I wish I could get an answer to my problem.

Comment from: Mattos, 55-64 Female Published: October 01

I was having abdominal pain for 30 years, was told I had IBS, the first test I had was in my 20's, had a sigmoidoscopy, a few years later had a barium enema, colonoscopies, endoscopies. Now that I am in my late 50's I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have been off gluten for 4 months, I am better, but still having some pain. I think it will take some time for my symptoms to subside, and not sure if I can ever eat any grain again, I've tried gluten-free breads, and flours, (make my own bread now), but I can still have issues. I wonder if my gut can tell the difference between gluten free flour and regular wheat flour. It will be trial and error for a long time. If you are having abdominal pain all of the time and get all the tests and the dr.'s tell you, you have IBS, go gluten free.

Comment from: laheyglen, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been having a bad stomach for 10 days now. Started with a cramp in the lower right side with a pain in the right testicular which was there (the pain in the testical) about 2 weeks before. Then the same day I am working and my stomach start getting severely cold. I go to the hospital and get sent to another for a CT scan and nothing shows up, nothing on my blood work and my X-Rays show that I had a little blockage in my stomach. So now I am taking pills for cramps, stool softener and antibiotics. Just wondering what you think this could be because they "THINK" it could be IBS. but they also can't explain why my stomach being cold or the pain in my testical. I got no fever and no problems using the washroom.

Abdominal Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with abdominal pain.
Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of abdominal pain diagnosed?
Abdominal Pain - Medications Question: What medications were prescribed for your case of abdominal pain?