Patient Comments: Abdominal Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had severe abdominal pain for decades. The first problem was when I was in my early 20s. I had 7 golf ball sized cysts on my fallopian tubes. I had surgery to remove them. Then I got a uterine fibroid that grew to the size of a cantaloupe. I had a partial hysterectomy for that problem. The abdominal pain persisted still. After decades of going to doctors I finally found a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist who would tackle and diagnose my problems. He diagnosed microscopic colitis, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), hiatal hernia, and abdominal adhesions from my previous surgeries. I had surgery to remove the adhesions and that pain was gone immediately. I've finally been able to find ways through diet (FODMAP elimination diet and a vegan diet) and exercise to manage my colitis, SIBO, and hiatal hernia. These problems are difficult to distinguish because they all cause pain and similar symptoms. There are good GI doctors out there who can help you diagnose your problems. I'm proof! Best of luck.

Comment from: Worried, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been having upper abdominal pain off and on for years. I often feel a lump at the edge of my left rib cage. The pain is a constant ache. I can now see the lump when standing and it feels hard and lumpy. My doctor believes there is nothing nasty going on.

Comment from: Kelly's tummy hurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had severe lower abdominal cramps for two days. I have bloating, and it is tender to touch; with several hours in duration. Cramping begins two inches above navel and goes down into pelvic region. Eating makes pain worse.

Comment from: GBton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have abdominal pain when I lie on my sides, right or left. It stays until I sit or stand up and is very painful. It goes from my sternum down to my navel area and seems like my stomach is bloated. As I go to sit up the pain intensifies to extreme but pans off fast once seated. I did have a double heart bypass 10 weeks ago and still have the rib and chest pain associated with that but it is now minor. This has been going on for about five days and is only active when I lie down, which has affected my ability to sleep.

Comment from: Achy10, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have a very sharp pain around my right side abdominal area, below my waist. It is very sharp, almost burning like. Makes me wince and cry out because it happens suddenly. I have a bad back and take many medicines, but this doesn't feel like constipation pains, or like the pain I had when I had an ischemic colitis attack before. I am worried. I nearly died when that happened.

Comment from: manisha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I have a pain in the upper middle part of my stomach, usually a burning pain with the sharp shooting pain. I am bloated and my upper stomach is very painful.

Abdominal Pain - Cause Question: What was the cause(s) of your case of abdominal pain?
Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of abdominal pain diagnosed?
Abdominal Pain - Medications Question: What medications were prescribed for your case of abdominal pain?
Abdominal Pain - Symptoms Question: What symptoms were associated with your case of abdominal pain?