Table of Contents
- Abdominal pain facts
- What is abdominal pain?
- What causes abdominal pain?
- When should I call my doctor about abdominal pain?
- How is the cause of abdominal pain diagnosed?
- Signs and symptoms associated with abdominal pain
- Signs and symptoms associated with abdominal pain (Part 2)
- Signs and symptoms associated with abdominal pain (Part 3)
- Physical examination to diagnose abdominal pain
- Exams and tests to diagnose abdominal pain
- Exams and tests to diagnose abdominal pain (Part 2)
- Exams and tests to diagnose abdominal pain (Part 3)
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and diagnosing abdominal pain
- Why can diagnosis of the cause of abdominal pain be difficult?
- What are home remedies for certain causes of abdominal pain?
- What medications can be used to treat certain causes of abdominal pain?
- What lifestyle choices can I make to prevent abdominal pain?
Quick GuideWhat's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
When should I call my doctor about abdominal pain?
Some doctors suggest that if you have a "less serious" cause of abdominal pain (see above section on topic), especially if it is likely food poisoning (viral or bacterial) and you have had discomfort but are not dehydrated, you will likely not need medical care as the symptoms should resolve in about 24 to 48 hours. If you have a chronic problem that occasionally causes abdominal pain, most doctors suggest you contact the person treating you for the ailment for an appointment or prescription (refill). However, if you have any of the problems or symptoms listed in the "serious abdominal pain "section above, you should seek immediate medical care. Continue Reading
Fauci, Anthony S. et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Time.com. Why Belly Pain Is Such a Headache for ER Doctors.
UpToDate.com. Differential diagnosis of abdominal pain in adults.
12. Getty Images
13. Getty Images
16. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!