Patient Comments: Abdominal Migraines - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of abdominal migraines for you or your child?

Comment from: LISA, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My son, 5 and daughter 8, both suffer from abdominal migraines. My daughter's migraines are usually brought on by stress or excitement, for example before a school event/excursion. She will moan, have a sore belly button, vomit, and then sleep. She will be pale and lethargic. With my son however we are still trying to figure out his trigger. His behavior is similar to my daughter's, however he seems clammier but if his temperature is not up, he also may not vomit. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Indie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My granddaughter has stomach migraines. She first gets pain in her stomach then it escalates. We thought she was having seizures at first but then the doctor told us she was actually passing out from the pain.

Comment from: csmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My daughter has suffered debilitating stomach aches for years. Her pediatrician thought it was constipation. We finally saw a pediatric gastroenterologist today. He was very thorough in his questioning of her and me. He immediately said this isn't constipation. It isn't IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). He said he thinks she's having abdominal migraines. Her dad has migraines which seems to be a key factor in diagnosing abdominal migraines. She's going to have endoscopy to rule out other things, but after reading about abdominal migraines it sounds very much like her symptoms.

Comment from: Desmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My daughter would feel very nauseous, rarely vomit, sometimes had intense abdominal pain, very lethargic, wouldn't eat for days, had sunken eyes, and just very sick looking. There was nothing I could pin it to, a food, an activity, or event. She missed 2-7 days of school a month. I was devastated! It took over 3 years and many doctors, tests, and medicines until we got the diagnosis of abdominal migraine. She was given an anxiety medicine and lorazepam every 6 hours, for when she has the episodes. This was too much, she was crying, and hallucinating (high). I now give her 1/2 a pill every 12 hours. It still doesn't go away right away but it helps. It's horrible to feel so helpless when your child is sick. Still looking for a cure.

Comment from: MN Mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

When my daughter tells us her eyes hurt, that"s the first clue. Then she experiences cyclic vomiting for 3 to 4 hours. Once the vomiting stops, she needs to just sleep for about 4 hours. She will often shiver when she is in the vomiting stage and will cry, and gets very lethargic. She"s learned to avoid things like the merry go round, which has triggered episodes, but there are times with no obvious trigger.

Comment from: Gisele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have suffered with abdominal migraines for years and just today asked my physician for help. I usually get cold, feel like I need sleep, but my body will not sleep and then the vomiting and dry heaves begin and can last hours. Today I was given Zofran to see if that helps. Sleep is what brings it to closure. The article was very helpful.

Comment from: Victoria, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My child has had intense pain on and off for 10 days, residing in lower back kidney area and abdomen.

Abdominal Migraines - Diagnosis Question: Describe the process that led to a diagnosis of abdominal migraines.
Abdominal Migraines - Medications Question: What medications have been effective for your child's abdominal migraines?
Abdominal Migraines - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with abdominal migraine.
Abdominal Migraine - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your child's abdominal migraines?